CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

1998 CBR F3 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 CBR F3 Restoration

Hey fellows,

Im from the great north..Newer to the site, long time reader tho. I've recently bought a 1998 CBR F3, I'll post picture below, and it was in pretty bad shape IMO. The rear tire was flat, battery was garbage, chunks out of the ferrings, etc. I got it home and gave it a new tire and decided to take it up the street. This is where I found out that the previous owner ruined 2nd gear. Loaded it onto the truck and it went straight to my mechanic. He split the case and gave me a list of parts, which ended up costing me over $800.. just for the transmission. Now that I've had the transmission rebuilt and my bill paid up on it haha I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on more restoration ideas for me, more than what I'm going to list. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

Bike upgrades currently being applied:

New bar ends
Tank protector
Led tail light conversion
Stomp grips for tank
Hand grips
Barnett racing clutch kit
All ***** for seal kit
Shogun Frame sliders
Factory pro shift kit
Hid led h4 conversion kit
Jt 525 chain and sprocket kit
New ferrings kit from China (turned out very well)
New intake carb boots.
2ct michelin tire front and rear
Asv lever brake and clutch
Hindle aluminum exhaust

Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 PM

It's always nice to hear of a new F3 owner in the frozen north.

Good luck with the restoration, I've heard the chineese fairings don't always align without some struggle.

With the LED H4 retrofits, i hear heat can sometimes be a problem as the Cree bulbs need a heat-sync, and the lumens are not as high as HID's. But that's just what I've read.

Cheers,
n

Old 02-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by nvanvlymen
It's always nice to hear of a new F3 owner in the frozen north.

Good luck with the restoration, I've heard the chineese fairings don't always align without some struggle.

With the LED H4 retrofits, i hear heat can sometimes be a problem as the Cree bulbs need a heat-sync, and the lumens are not as high as HID's. But that's just what I've read.

Cheers,
n
Ya it seems they are few and far between up here in the true north. Thank for the heads up I might just see if I can find an angel eye kit for it. The smoken joe was a bike I always loved the look of but I was so young when it came out I only got to drool at pictures haha. The Chinese ferrings I received have matched up perfectly the only drilling I had to do was to fit the frame sliders on but that process was pretty simple. I have a chip in my gas tank about the size of a quarter. Any ideas on how to patch that up without repainting the whole tank? Also was wondering about the calipers and brake lines. I hear things about steel Braided lines... what are the advantages compared to the stock set up ?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:49 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock brake lines have a tendency to flex, or bulge if you will, a little bit especially when the brake fluid gets hot in more sporty or track riding resulting in what is called "spongy" brakes. The steel braiding, along with a good quality brake fluid, aims to remove the flex giving you crisper more responsive brakes. From what I remember of my old F2 the brakes were plenty crisp as is, and to my knowledge the F3 has slightly larger rotors but the lines themselves aren't that expensive so if you're changing them anyway then steels is the way to go. I've read of numerous people using Galfer or HEL products and swearing by their name, mine are Wezmoto:s via ebay, they're from the cheaper end of the spectrum but I have nothing bad to say about them, quite the contrary, I cocked up the order ordering the wrong set (Ordered a Daytona set when I needed speed triple lines because dirty bars) contacted them about it and ended up with a tailored custom length set for no extra charge.

And of course most of the manufacturers lets you choose the color of the banjos and/or the hose for that extra little bling.

Last edited by Mattson; 02-16-2016 at 02:52 AM.