CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

14/48 sprocket setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14/48 sprocket setup

Ok, I've already searched the site with no luck on finding anything on this sprocket setup so I need to post this. I just ordered a new set of tires to put on my bike and the bike came with a different chain/sprocket setup when I bought it (not installed on the bike). So, I figured while I had the back wheel off the bike I may as well throw the sprockets on to give me a little more torque. I thought it was a -1/+2 setup but I cross checked the numbers on the sprockets and it looks like the front has 14 teeth and the rear has 48 teeth with a 525 chain to go with it. My understanding is that this would be a -1/+5 setup. Would you guys recommend me using this gearing? I don't do any major wheelies or anything like that, I mostly just cruise around but I do like to get up and go pretty quick and it feels like my bike could use more torque most of the time. I just want to make sure this isn't going to be too radical of a setup, looks like it would only change gearing by 0.2. Let me know what you think.

thanks
-Dan

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dasm86
Ok, I've already searched the site with no luck on finding anything on this sprocket setup so I need to post this. I just ordered a new set of tires to put on my bike and the bike came with a different chain/sprocket setup when I bought it (not installed on the bike). So, I figured while I had the back wheel off the bike I may as well throw the sprockets on to give me a little more torque. I thought it was a -1/+2 setup but I cross checked the numbers on the sprockets and it looks like the front has 14 teeth and the rear has 48 teeth with a 525 chain to go with it. My understanding is that this would be a -1/+5 setup. Would you guys recommend me using this gearing? I don't do any major wheelies or anything like that, I mostly just cruise around but I do like to get up and go pretty quick and it feels like my bike could use more torque most of the time. I just want to make sure this isn't going to be too radical of a setup, looks like it would only change gearing by 0.2. Let me know what you think.

thanks
-Dan
I went from stock 15 43...... to 14 45..... and I think it might be a bit much ...... in 6th gear my rpm is at like 9000 all the time to cruise.... so high .... but I do love the low end acceleration .... but damn ...... +5 is HUGE.... thatsa wheelie sprocket

--Lee

Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Does anyone know if I would be able to use the stock front sprocket and put the 48 tooth sprocket on the rear? That would roughly give me the same gear ratio as a 14 front 45 rear sprocket setup that most people use.

jacked600,
You said that you run about 9k rpm cruising with your 14/45 setup, at what speed is that? With my stock gearing I run about 5k rpm at $65 according to my speedo, and that would be a hell of a change.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Does anyone know if I would be able to use the stock front sprocket and put the 48 tooth sprocket on the rear? That would roughly give me the same gear ratio as a 14 front 45 rear sprocket setup that most people use.
Sure, but you're going to have to adjust your chain to fit it. Not sure if you want to deal with the hassle.

With my stock gearing I run about 5k rpm at $65 according to my speedo, and that would be a hell of a change.
At 14/48, your speedo is wholly unreliable. Use a GPS to get some legit numbers.

The +5 rear is adding a TON of torque. It's primary purpose really is for wheelies. Lowering it is going to reduce your torque, which contradicts what you want. However, lowering it will also significant;y reduce your RPMs, save on gas, and make cruising more comfortable. Are you sure it's TORQUE you want, and not something else?

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-10-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Hell maybe my best bet is to just put the smaller 14 tooth sprocket on the front and leave the rear at the stock 43 teeth. That will give me the smallest amount of gear change and I can see how I like it. I'm not looking for anything too crazy, just a little more torque off the line.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Sounds good. You may want to consider some alternate upgrades if the bike is just not powerful enough for you. There's a lot more you can do besides sprockets.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM

The bike has plenty of power once I get it above 8-9k rpm, just seems slow getting there. I really don't want to put a whole bunch of money into this bike for power upgrades considering I plan on getting a newer fuel injected bike next year. The reason I'm asking about sprockets is because I already have the parts to use and don't want to spend anymore money on the bike right now considering I just bought new tires and a new $140 fuel pump for this thing. Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
-Dan

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

something else that people tend to forget when changing the sprockets is that this will ulitmately effect the way your bike performs in other areas then just straight line acceleration. you will have remember that your engine braking into a corner will differ and also the way you have to throttle from the apex through the exit will change as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM

dan, i have the same feeling as you with my f3, i just want more pull!!!!!

i was thinking about doing the -1,+2 conversion and maybe a jet kit, but i have no idea where to get parts from for this bike.

can anyone tell me where i can get a jet kit, sprockets and chain?

also, what is that conversion called? i've heard 520 and 525 and a few other numbers be thrown out but i have no idea what that means.

thanks in advance.
-joe

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

Originally Posted by joe325
dan, i have the same feeling as you with my f3, i just want more pull!!!!!

i was thinking about doing the -1,+2 conversion and maybe a jet kit, but i have no idea where to get parts from for this bike.

can anyone tell me where i can get a jet kit, sprockets and chain?

also, what is that conversion called? i've heard 520 and 525 and a few other numbers be thrown out but i have no idea what that means.

thanks in advance.
-joe
a local motorcycle shop should carry or can order your sprockets/jet kit. you can also check with our forum sponsors for all your part ordering needs.

the 520/525/530 refers to the chain.

Quick Reply: 14/48 sprocket setup