CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

110 octane gas mixed with 98 octane safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tuning nitrous cars/bikes for a living for quite some time now. Not trying to argue but i have never seen any car lose power/performance from racing fuel. I can tell you, i have customers that have been running racing fuel in there 87 octane rated atv's, 600cc+(stock) bikes for years. All of them will tell you positive feedback while running racing fuel on motor as well, let alone the nitrous. Half of them we have tuned for c16 vp. Racing gas may not be worthy of the cost for someone running one n/a. But there is performance to be had on the table. My old drag bike '81 gs1100 had a stock motor with bolt ons and loved it.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will see increased throttle response, but dyno tests have proven higher octane fuels in motorcycles that are NOT designed for it IE your owners manual says 87 Octane (The CBR's say 91 RON/RM which is 87 Octane in North America) will LOSE horsepower, 87 Octane pump gas has 1-2 HP more. Just because your throttle kicks in faster doesnt mean your bike has more power. See link below. It also goes on to state that with changed advanced timing, you will see gains from race fuel, WELL DUH Youre getting gains because your timing is advanced, not from your fuel. Higher Octane fuels are simply a gateway to allow you to advance your timing farther than you would on 87 octane without spark knock or pre detonation.

RC51.org the truth about race fuel page

Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM

If you add timing in anything with pump gas such as 87 the bike will ping from detination under condition. You are able to add timing with racing fuel because it does burn slower and cooler. That's why I said in my original post throw timing at it while checking the plugs. The added timing will clean up the un-burned fuel. This is because timing adds heat which burn more fuel.

Last edited by blwnstang02; 06-15-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 PM

But yes back to basics he probably does not need to run it, however with the right tune up and timing for the burn, specific gravity differences it may be beneficial. Also I have to realize he is not running spray.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Lol everyone kinda blew this topic out of the water... I wasnt saying that I was gonna fill my tank up every week with 110 and expect to gain 50hp or something... I was just wondering if it would hurt anything like adding a little 110 like every 3months? Most of you took what i said like i filled the tank slap up with 110, i added 1 gallon to what i always put in my bikes and in my cars. I see some of you think it does nothing and some think it does help, I do believe it helps clean everything up a little bit just using a little every once and a while. Pretty much what im getting at, is it safe to use a small amount of 110 every now and then to help clean the tank, lines, carbs, etc...or hell even as a fuel stabilizer...

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM

You will be fine, enjoy. You can even run a half gallon to a tank.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM

Also i do not suggest using it as fuel stabilizer or fuel cleaner. Some racing fuels tend to be oily, greasy. I have taken apart motors that are the color of the fuel throughout the intake into the head. Also when racing gas sits it can go bad from heat or sun exposior in the gas can or your tank.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 PM

It\s your bike my friend, you've been provided information from both sides of the arguement, so take it as you will.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Caccam
Lol everyone kinda blew this topic out of the water... I wasnt saying that I was gonna fill my tank up every week with 110 and expect to gain 50hp or something... I was just wondering if it would hurt anything like adding a little 110 like every 3months? Most of you took what i said like i filled the tank slap up with 110, i added 1 gallon to what i always put in my bikes and in my cars. I see some of you think it does nothing and some think it does help, I do believe it helps clean everything up a little bit just using a little every once and a while. Pretty much what im getting at, is it safe to use a small amount of 110 every now and then to help clean the tank, lines, carbs, etc...or hell even as a fuel stabilizer...
Why would you assume that racing fuel would serve well as a fuel system cleaner?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Originally Posted by halbritt
Why would you assume that racing fuel would serve well as a fuel system cleaner?
+1

The best thing I think you can/should add to your tank is Seafoam in that department.
It just does everything.

Quick Reply: 110 octane gas mixed with 98 octane safe?