CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Where do i start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do i start...

Last saturday my niece knocked my bike over while she was helping my clean out the garage. nothing major just broke the bar end and a lil scratch on the exhaust.

Or so i thought...

Before when i started it up it would fire on the first try. now its taking two or three pushes to start up.

also when taking off from a stop in 1st it feels like its bogging down a little, once i get up past 5k or so it goes away. also sounds similar to a lawn mower exhaust (put, put, put,) but also goes away after 5k or so.

Is the jolt from falling enough to knock the carbs out of sync or one of the jets out of whack? Any other ideas?

thanks for the input, looking for a course of action before i dig in. im not the most comfortable when it comes to workin on carbs...

Thanks again,

Fearless

Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the bike went over, the fluids (all of them) went places they're not supposed to go. Some of them may have had a quick fling together for a minute (mixed a bit).

Before you begin to worry, give the bike a chance resettle everything. For the oil to look at the gas and ask it "Hey, ain't it time for you to leave?". And for some of the gunk to burn off.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM

What side did it fall on? My what is the rpm at an idle when it is warm? I had the same issue, bike went over parked, some how all it did besides the scratches was turn the idle adjuster screw down so it dropped The idle set up

give that a try, it's a start without tearing it down

Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 PM

thanks Kuro, didnt stop to think about that, just went straight to worst-case-scenario...(i really hate working on carbs)

Kray: it fell onto the right side. after i get it started and warmed up, it idles fine at about 1200-1300rpm. its just getting started, and takin off from a stop.

Guess ill give it a couple of days, only had it out twice since for short jaunts 'round town. think ill take it to work tommorrow, give it a good workout...

thanks yall.

-fearless-

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People have suggested before taking the plugs out and hitting the starter a couple times after a bike has been laid down. They also suggest lots of rags when doing so since it could get messy.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 PM

I had a bike fall over like that and ended up with similar problem. Switched out the plugs for new ones and never looked back. Nice cheap fix

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Sound like you fouled a plug or two. Start the bike & let it run for a bit to warm up. Once warm take a spray bottle & spray it on the header pipes. If all of them boil the water right off then prolly not. If so remove the plugs & unglug the coils so there is no spark at all to ignite the vapors when cranking the engine to clear the cylinders. Replace the plugs & you should be good.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Project96
Sound like you fouled a plug or two. Start the bike & let it run for a bit to warm up. Once warm take a spray bottle & spray it on the header pipes. If all of them boil the water right off then prolly not. If so remove the plugs & unglug the coils so there is no spark at all to ignite the vapors when cranking the engine to clear the cylinders. Replace the plugs & you should be good.
I believe it is bad to turn the bike over without the coils being grounded as it can damage the electrical system. Best bet is to remove plugs and hold them against cylinder head while turning over to allow them to spark away. Gives you a chance to clean off the plugs as well and replace if neccesary.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

thanks for the info guys. it has gotten a lil better since its been run to work a few times. but still a lil slugish on take off. gotta change my brake pads anyway this weekend so i might as well replace the plugs while ive got it apart.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 AM

If you upnplug the primary coil wires (small wires) the coils will not produce any voltage. You can also unplug the pulser coil that is located back by the battery coming from the right side of the engine. It is bad when you leave everything hooked up & the coils are trying to produce a secondary spark. There is a lot of voltage that has to go somewhere. There is also the possibility of the cylinders having fuel in them & turning the engine over with the coils hooked up. When the fuel is pumped out it will spray everywhere & you run the risk of the coils igniting the mix & a BIG fireball will occure. Seen it happen personally. Unplug the primary coil wires at least.

Unplugging the primary is the same as unplugging a stick coil on newer model bikes.

Quick Reply: Where do i start...