CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Well Im dumb...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Im dumb...

First off...Sorry for making so many threads guys.

Okay so I am dumb as hell and managed to drop my bike while going around a slow Cul-De-Sac turn. As I was struggling to keep the bike up the engine died and then it fell over. It fell on the left side and hit the small metal piece at the bottom (not sure what its called) and the left mirror.

After I got some help to get the bike up I tried to start it up and it just kept turning over but not starting. I kept trying for a few minutes and then eventually it just stopped turning over. The lights were still on tho so I dont think it was the battery.

I let it sit for 5 more minutes and then tried again. It would start for a milasecond or 2 and then die. I managed to pull the throttle when it caught and then it stayed on. It kind of sounded funny but it was running atleast. I managed to ride it home but the acceleration seemed to be a little lower then usual.

When I got home I turned it off and started it again and it still wont catch. If I do get it to start and then I put the choke on it just dies.

It might just be in my head but the engine doesnt sound the same...it seems louder and kind of knocks lightly.

Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Bike drops do wierd things to bike. One thing it generally does is get oil into spots it normally doesn't reside in quantities it doesn't normally exist in. Let it settle for a few hours, then try and run it. Let it go for a while running semi cruddy, and hopefully it'll burn off that oil.

it shouldn't have upset anything else, it sounds like just as low speed drop. If the above doesn't fix it, it's troubleshooting time.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Okay thanks man. You always seem to help me out and I really appreciate it. Ill post back in 3 or 4 hours and let you all know whats up.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What small metal piece was it? The round cover that has Honda stamped in it? If so - that's called the stator cover - the stator (MC equivalent to an alternator/generator) is in there. Make sure it doesn't look deformed/cracked/dented. (It's a pretty sturdy piece, so you should be ok)

Like Jesse said - laying on it's side does weird things to engines. Follow what he said about letting it set for a few hours. You might want to pop open the fuel filler while it sits too - there might be fuel in the vent line, see if that helps it drain out.

Time for some frame sliders!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
First off...Sorry for making so many threads guys.

Okay so I am dumb as hell and managed to drop my bike while going around a slow Cul-De-Sac turn. As I was struggling to keep the bike up the engine died and then it fell over. It fell on the left side and hit the small metal piece at the bottom (not sure what its called) and the left mirror.

After I got some help to get the bike up I tried to start it up and it just kept turning over but not starting. I kept trying for a few minutes and then eventually it just stopped turning over. The lights were still on tho so I dont think it was the battery.

I let it sit for 5 more minutes and then tried again. It would start for a milasecond or 2 and then die. I managed to pull the throttle when it caught and then it stayed on. It kind of sounded funny but it was running atleast. I managed to ride it home but the acceleration seemed to be a little lower then usual.

When I got home I turned it off and started it again and it still wont catch. If I do get it to start and then I put the choke on it just dies.

It might just be in my head but the engine doesnt sound the same...it seems louder and kind of knocks lightly.

Any ideas?
One thing just came to me - you're describing what happened to me last Monday.

You think you're dumb - this made me feel like an idiot.

Cranked the bike up and left it idling in the driveway while I fed the dogs before heading to work. 5 mins later hop on the bike, and roll out. Get on the main road and say "hmmm - sounds like the motor is misfiring or something...maybe it's idling rich and the carbs are loaded up." so I wind it out in 1st to see if I can blow the carbs out, and shift to 2nd - the miss is still there so I roll into it again. I shift to 3rd and immediately I start losing RPM's - bike is bogging down bad. I decide to hit a sidestreet to evaluate. while I'm still near the house. As I turn, the bike died so I coast into a driveway.

I sit there trying to crank the bike - no go, maybe a slight stumble, but it never fires. I open the fuel tank and slosh it around - I see fuel in the tank so I know it's got gas. I keep trying to fire it thinking - I know it was just running, it's got ignition and gas.....then it hit me - I hadn't turned my petcock on. I normally don't shut it off, but I had the tank off the bike the prior week, and had switched it off. I had essentially just run the bike out of gas.

Turn fuel on, choke on, bike fires back up. Choke off, drive to work - no problems.

Lunchtime - hop on bike - run down the road @ 5krpm in 3rd. I'm running by myself on the road and I notice that it has a weird little dead spot right at my cruising speed. I vary the throttle and it seems that it might just be a weird spot in the throttle curve, and I file it away. Red light coming up - pull in clutch - engine dies. Again. I try to crank it, and it is acting just like this morning again. I roll into a gas station parking lot and start trying to get it to fire. No dice. Strip off my gear, and I'm confused - petcock is on, so gas shouldn't be an issue. I sit there cranking on it for another minute, and decide to look in the tank again. The tank I checked 4 hours earlier (less than 3 miles of driving distance), and know there was gas there. It's futile, but I'm just running a mental checklist now.

Open the tank - yes, there's fuel there. Then I realize there's less than an inch of fuel there. I had just run the bike out of gas for the second time in 1 day. Def felt like a moron.

Flipped it to reserve - fired it back up and drove over to the pumps for 3.6 gallons of the good stuff.

anyway - go check a) your fuel petcock position (down is On, middle is off, up is Reserve) and b) how much do you have in the tank.

If it happened to me - it can happen to anyone.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Yeah its the stator cover. It has been dropped on that side before I bought it and I dropped it the same way again. I dont think i really did any additional damage to it just added a few more scratches. It could be gas...I can see gas in there but it doesnt look too full.

I am still letting the bike sit im gonna head out in 30 or so minutes and crank it up. Might drive it around the block a few times to try and burn off the oil.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Okay so I started the bike and it seemed to start a little slower then usual but I got it going. I started the choke and it almost died but then picked up. Anyone know the reason for this?

I kind of sounds like the engine is louder then the muffler now...I am not sure if it was like that before.

It also kind of sounds like a click-click-click-click coming from the engine area. Once again, not sure what all this means.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM

Okay so I started the bike and it seemed to start a little slower then usual but I got it going. I started the choke and it almost died but then picked up. Anyone know the reason for this?

I kind of sounds like the engine is louder then the muffler now...I am not sure if it was like that before.

It also kind of sounds like a click-click-click-click coming from the engine area. Once again, not sure what all this means.
Need more description then that...Like where the click-click-click is coming from??

Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 AM

Its from the engine for sure but I cant find an exact location. It just sounds like the deep middle or something.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 AM

Its from the engine for sure but I cant find an exact location. It just sounds like the deep middle or something.
....I figured it was from the engine...what side/part of the engine would help a lot...If its from the right side and gets louder as rpm's increase, could be the CCT. If it happens when you're in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in its clutch rattle and is normal. if its a knock noise from the middle, left, or right, it could be a spun rod bearing.

More description is necessary to help you.

Quick Reply: Well Im dumb...