CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

It used to run good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation It used to run good!

About 3 days ago my bike ran great. I have just put in a new air filter (K&N) and a new CCT in. I didnt ride it cause it was pouring rain and today i get on it and now it sucks a$$ at a constant RPM. After 2nd gear it surges. I get power then loose it then get it and loose it very quickly and it just repeats till i drop into second!

Now this is the first time the bike has had an air filter since i bought it. The guy i bought it from had two pieces of cloth around the snorkels. Could it be the carbs are adjusted to the no air filter and now that there is an air filter and the carbs cant breath as well as they used to? Or could i have somehow installed the CCT wrong? Or both? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM

30+ views and no one can give me and idea of what area to start and look?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you installed the CCT 'wrong', the only thing that could be messing with power would be CAM TIMING OFF.

Let's assume that's not the case, since the thought of that perturbs my inner being.

Now, onward to the fuel/air system:
How are you feeling about digging just a liiiiittle bit deeper into that beast, and popping off that carb assembly and dropping a bowl and looking at the numbers on the jets? Also, checking the pilot screw settings on the carbs would be good. That's what's probably going to give you the biggest problems at a low-throttle cruising speed.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 PM

my guess is its the air filter, i would just go with a oem one because from what ive heard the k&n actually reduces power and messes with fuel-air. try taking off the air filter and ride it and see if its ok. if its still messed up, make sure all the vacuum lines are connected properly, you could have dislodged one i guess. try this stuff and its still messed up its passed my realm of plausible guesses

Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM

If you cant do it fenatic, take it to a bike shop and have them properly jet the bike, or just go back to OEM and sell the K&N on ebay. Heard many testimonials from other more seasoned riders and races that it robs power and lets a wee bit more junk through than the OEM filter.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 PM

Alright now were getting somewhere. haha I cleaned the carbs today to see if that was it and it wasnt but i havent tried to run it without the filter yet. Ill be pretty upset if my supposed to be good k&n is robbing me. ill give it a try in the morning. Thanks all

Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 PM

happen to note the jet sizes while you were in there?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM

id guess ur timing was off id check that over and if thats not the case, i would have to say that the jets would be ur problem

Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Hate to bum you out, but I have been punked into the ownership of more than a few K&N's, and have yet to have a good experience. Among my circle of off-road friends, we have developed a new corporate slogan for them. "K&N: we keep the big stuff out."

Their on-road division, however, had to stick with their original slogan "K&N: You know that mass airflow sensor of yours? We just covered it in oily sludge, and now you're out 20 horsepower. Enjoy!"

Just sayin'. Also, I've read a few flow bench/particle passage studies suggesting that some OE filters flow more and filter better than a K&N. Also, they are known to filter better when dirty. That confuses me. ...I always thought... Nevermind.

All of my opinionated bs aside, I'd be seriously impressed if (on stock jettting) the installation of a K&N filter affected your airflow so seriously that it created drivability issues at low-throttle cruising speeds.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM

So i took the K&N out of my bike and now it runs like new again. I just called K&N about this and Im the only one to ever file a complaint about the peformance. Anyways they were really nice and said they have no issue refunding my purchase and that they will call me tommorow with the details. So im pretty happy.

Quick Reply: It used to run good!