CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Track riders & racers only, please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track riders & racers only, please.

So, the time is soon coming, that I will be on track with my F2 - I have not been on track with a bike this old since, well, since a bike this old was new!!
My dilemma:
I'm running Q2's on the bike right now (third set), and I love 'em, but I would like to go with something stickier for the track - slicks would be my preference, or at least some Dunlop GP hoops, like the spec for AMA Daytona Sportbike, and I'm noticing that the pickings are very slim for 160/60 rear and 120/60 front, as some of you probably know already.
Firstly, I really do want to stay with Dunlops, and secondly, I don't want to upset the bike's handling too much. Also, as silly as it might sound to some, I am going to try to avoid removing the rear hugger and/or chain guard, and since I know I'm not going to hop up to 180 or 190 in the rear, hopefully this will not be a problem.
My question:
I am just curious, for those that have tried, and know the results: what are some recommendations for race tire sources, that you know will have some decent offerings for these rims, and, what sizes have you been willing to step up to, that allows more options, but still retain good handling?
I know that even with slicks or stickier compound DOT approved race tires, I could possible lose the advantage gained if I disturb the bike's intended geometry - I'm just looking for some suggestions from those that have raced this bike.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well first of all I am no expert so, I used to race my F2, 6 to 7 weekends a year for 5 years. Started when my F2 was only a year old and I used Metzlers and Dunlop both race compound rubber. Definitly preferred the Dunlops, I think they were SportMax 2 and 364's. Got a few top 10's and just a couple top 5's. Quit racing, started a family. Fast forward 13ish years, the old F2 still sitting in the garage. I get a brain storm, start doing track days. Cleaned her up, installed Q2's, great tire, did 7 track days on them. But the faster I got I started sliding a little here and there, front and rear. Some said you better get a better tire, its cheaper than fixing a crashed bike. So I ordered a set of Michelin Power One med/soft race compound and the required tire warmers. Great tire, its 95% slick, but I dont think I'll get 7 days on them. Got 4 days already and it looks like they might make it one more. Gonna get another set. As far as slicks go, I haven't tried any but I might this year. I have an extra set of wheels to put them on so I'll be ok. I've heard Bridgestone makes a great slick for F2,F3, and SV, in 3 different compound (soft, med, hard). Thats the best I can do for you. Good Luck

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
...the faster I got I started sliding a little here and there, front and rear. Some said you better get a better tire, its cheaper than fixing a crashed bike...
Thanks for the input, Frank, I appreciate it, and, you hit it right on the head with your comment about sliding with the Q2's - there are not a lot of twisty bits around where I live, but there's a couple of good spots, and as I am getting back to old ways, getting faster and leaned over more, I find myself sliding the rear a lot, even in good conditions, NOT on an off-camber turns, and NOT with heavy throttle application...if I'm encountering this now, with the speed limitations of public roads, I'm gonna be really irritated at the track, I fear, even if I'm maintaining heat in both sides of the rear.
Now, like a lot of other guys and gals, I do enjoy a controlled slide here and there, and I'm getting great feedback during these slides, and able to adjust as necessary, but I want to STICK at the track, you know?
Now, one thing you didn't mention, and I don't want to make an assumption about this: are you using your original stock 4.5 inch rims? If not, what are you running with success, and are you running stock tire sizes?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 900RR rear works iirc. This thread has me waanting to hit some track days lolz

Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Yes, I am using stock wheels, tires sizes are 160/60 rear and 120/70 front, even though the front stock is 120/60. Shouldn't make that much of a difference. It raises the front just a tad. From what I've read "they" say dont bother with the 120/60, always go with the 120/70.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Yeah, I have heard that too, about the front, and thanks again for your input!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM

From my experience, i used pilots for a bit at the track, then when those weren't enough I moved to power one, i use the commercial type, requiring no warmers but i do throw my warmers on anyways, they are a great tire and can definitely handle track/race duty. They will be looking to move on the price of the Power One since the cups are out an will be replacing all the other compounds. I did use the 120/60 and not the 70, and they were fine, but either way you go on the front you will be pleased. The front braking was more of a concern than the tire since my calipers and rotors would literally howl at me when i got on the front brake hard. I did use the stock 4.5 as well, the 160 was great, and the fact that you ca get a full set of rims for the f2 for $250 isn't too bad either for the set of rains.

+ i tried the "V" power one, and the bike felt like it was going to fall on the ground going into turns, i would almost have to drop into 1st gear so i had enough torque to pull me out of the lean. Bad juju for me with the V

sportbiketrackgear.com has great pricing on these with free shipping to your door, you can't really beat that!

Last edited by script; 05-02-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 AM

I was going to get the commercial street version of the Power One but from the tire test I read "they" said they didnt last as long as the Race Version with warmers. I really didnt want to get a tire that required warmers but I bit the bullet and got them. I dont reget it one bit.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM

I run an advanced pace, most of the time without warmers unless it is below 60. I can get about 3-6 track days on the commercial type and several sprints but like to change more frequently for sprints to have the least use. With warmers its just about the same for track days.

- i also bought a pricey set of chicken hawks and they don't get much use, i load them in the trailer at the beginning of the season and out in prep for winter. I should really get into using those dogs :P

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys - I think I've narrowed my options down to the Power One treaded race tires, or the Shinko 008 slicks, that is, unless I find a sweet deal on the newer Dunlop Kr448/KR449 race tires - I'm searching for those right now.

Quick Reply: Track riders & racers only, please.