CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

throttle handle sticks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
That is both kinda awesome and incredibly sketchy at the same time.
Lmao welcome to the club, WD40 hu? Maby I'll do that tomorrow

Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 AM

So if it were that the spring on the carb was not strong enough any more how would one go about replacing that? Is it even an option? When I have the carbs off the cables move just fine, hook them back up and i'm back to cruise control. Thanks for any help.
Bret

Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bwaters932
So if it were that the spring on the carb was not strong enough any more how would one go about replacing that? Is it even an option? When I have the carbs off the cables move just fine, hook them back up and i'm back to cruise control. Thanks for any help.
Bret
If you have the carbs off, you should be able to tell if the spring is still strong by manually rotating where the cables connect to. How do you know the cables move just fine? You can connect them to the carbs and do the test while the air box and tank are still off.

Maybe the cables aren't connected correctly? Both need to be properly connected for the throttle to work smoothly.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by damuho
If you have the carbs off, you should be able to tell if the spring is still strong by manually rotating where the cables connect to. How do you know the cables move just fine? You can connect them to the carbs and do the test while the air box and tank are still off.

Maybe the cables aren't connected correctly? Both need to be properly connected for the throttle to work smoothly.
The throttle twists fine and smooth when not connected to the carbs. I took the carbs off to clean them so when I reinstalled them I was able to tell that it is sticky. The valves do close on their own when the carbs are off the bike.
Bret

Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 AM

I think it's the way the cables are connected to the carbs. When you roll on the throttle, the cable that is being pulled should be on top and the other at the bottom (with the carbs seated on the engine). Do the cable housings get crimped when being routed to the carb? When the carbs are disconnected and you manually pull on the cables, do they still move freely when you twist the throttle?

Can you take pictures?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM

from what i have read you are NOT supposed to use wd40 in your cables, graphite every once in a while is what i think the proper method is.

I use wd40 anyways.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was grabby when I bought my bike. I swapped to new cables and all was fine til I reinstalled the airbox. Then the drag picked back up. I found I had to reroute the cables to get smooth action again.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM

I hit the cables with some WD-40 and the springs on the carb with some carb cleaner and then compressed air, re-installed and it now snaps back like it should. Not sure which one did it but not really worried about it at this point. Just wanted to follow up with what I did and if it worked. Thanks for the help!
Bret

Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, the Clymer manual actually indicates the cables can be lubed w/ motor oil. take the cables, hang them up suspended from one end. Cut the corner out of 2 ziploc bags and insert the end of one cable into the hole on each. Use a rubber band or tape or whatever to seal the bag around the cable, and then pour motor oil into the bags & seal em up. The bags will act like an I.V. bag, and the oil will seep down the line and out the other end. Have a catch pan underneath for it to drain into. do this till you feel your cables are properly de-gunked and drained, and reinstall.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy1011
I just unscrewed both nuts right below the throttle tube and shot a little WD40 down and twisted the throttle work it in...snaps back like new now. for now atleast lol.
thats what i did with my new grips.. but i figure it would work the same for the throttle

Quick Reply: throttle handle sticks