CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Tank Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Rattle?

Well, not so much as a rattle, but it moves a bit from side to side.

I removed the tank the other day jsut doing an inspection of everything on my own and I realized that the foam pads on the inside of the tank seem to be pretty beat down and flattened or at least deteorating. Is this something that others have had to replace/fix? Anyhting specific I should use to replace the pads so that the tank doesn't rock from side to side as much as it does?

I would think that pretty much any kind of flat foam padding would do when applied with some spray-on adhesive, but I would think something that can stand the heat from the engine would be required.

Suggestions?

Or, am I just totally off base and I should be doing something else to keep the tank from rocking?

Thanks,
Spencer

Old 06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Tank Rattle?

That is a common problem with them mine does it to... replace the bushing with with a bigger on the front of the tank by the speedo that should fix it fixed mine

Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Should I replace it just with one from the hardware store or an auto supply store or do I need to get something specific?

Old 07-02-2006, 03:17 PM

the one for the tank is the same one that is on the rear fender(for the taillight mount).
part number 84703-425-000. it was $4.98

you can also take a piece of fuel line (clear)and cut it down the middle, and run it along each side of the tank where it is close to the frame. hopefully that makes sense. i got the new grommet and still had to do that. and you cant see it with the fairings on it also saves the paint when putting the tank on and off.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:17 PM

Ok, I found a parts site that lists the parts straight from the manual. All parts are OEM and are listed individually according to their numbers in the manual and in the blow-out photos.

One of the items I found is the pad for under the tank and something called "Tank Rubber".

See them here- #12 for pad and #13 for the rubber

My questions is this, do you think I need 2 of the pads or would it ome as a set for both the elft and right (there's no option to get one or the other which is usually how it'd be done if they're different) and do you thin the rubber would be of help too? Not sure where that rubber would really go and I can't see to find it anywhere on my bike. Not sure if it has to do with the possible rattling of the tank or not.

Also, what do you all think of their prices? If I replaced all the nuts and bolts that I am missing on my bike I am close to $140, and that's a bit more than I really want to be spending of nuts and bolts (not even any plastics in that price).

Thanks for the assistance!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:22 PM

This site is retty good actually,they have live assistan with custome service person via chat. I spoke with someone that said I need only order one pad and taht the Tape item is double sided tape, of which you'd have to buy multiple pieces of (damn, for $3.78 each, I think not). Didn't ask about the "Tank Rubber", I just removed it form my cart for now.

Took off a few other items that aren't *needed* right now and got the price down to less just below $100.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bindelsf2
And you cant see it with the fairings on it also saves the paint when putting the tank on and off.
Yeah that might be a good idea anyway, I seem to have already scratched the home-made paint job the prior owner had done just from replacing the air filter and looking for the cause of my tank rattle.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:08 PM

i dont know if that rubber mat would help or not. i think that my tank has that mat but that it still rattled, i did the fuel line and its gravy now. i guess that you would have to find out where its rattling. if its a front to back rattle then new grommets would prob. fix it. if its a side to side then try hose.

if you can go to a hardware store and get the nuts and bolts, you are prob. looking at about 15.00 versus 100.00 like home depot or something.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM

I was actually looking at the number of bolts/nuts I had on my list and it really isn't that much of the cost. Most of the cost comes from a bunch of rubber gromits that I need as well as the side protectors from the rear fairing. Most of the bots are less that $1.00 each.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:44 PM

yeah those grommets add up quick. thats not that bad then good luck and let us know if you get that pad and if it works.

Quick Reply: Tank Rattle?