CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Starting problem... SOLVED!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting problem......

Leaving the choke on for too long will cause it to flood. that probably explains why you would smell gas and it would start for about 10 minutes afterwards. i have done this a couple times before, i would start it with choke on full and get to yappin on my cellphone and let it run too long with the choke on. Most days when its really hot out here, i just start it up and give a little twist on the throttle, rev it it up a few times and then take off, seems to work well for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Son of a Mother (*#&^)$(() ing Biotch! the dang probvlem is back..... I did the walk the throttle down thing and it worked the first time.. and now that is not working.. I am about to give up!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With my bike, I set the choke on full and fire it up... It will run for about 40 seconds at just under 3,000 RPM and then when it's warmed up it will let you know by slowly revving up just above 3,000 RPM.

That's when I walk the choke back down and it's good to go. Mind you, my carbs are perfect right now, maybe yours need a clean and adjustment?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 AM

I think you need to schedule some time at the bike shop and have them clean and adjust your carbs. You either have an electrical problem, or something wrong with the carbs, such as a stuck float or misadjusted idle screws. For the life of me I'm still trying to figure out how a bike could die when you keep the choke on too long. All mine does is idle faster (up to 5 grand if I leave it on) When my bike is warm I can even slowly give it choke and all it does is raise the rpms. It does not stall the bike out unless you give it full choke right away.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 PM

I agree. my bike is a 94 and has certianly not had a kind life with about 32,000 miles on it. Sometimes I have to flip the choke on to get it to start but it usually takes right off with the choke on. After I've let it sit in the parking lot all day while I was working I'll go out and just crank the starter for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and it'll take right off with no choke. Sometimes it helps to open the throttle a little bit, like a half inch or so. I'd maybe run some carb/fuel injecter cleaner through it with a tank of gas and see if that makes a difference. Not likely to fix things, but its the cheapest fix, which is usually where I start and work my way up to the more expensive stuff. After that I'd pull the carbs, knock the bowls off and pull out the slides and clean everything up real good with carb cleaner and put it all back together. Then I'd probably pull the plugs and see if they looked like things were running a little rich and maybe think about some carb adjustment, possibly lean out the idle mix if necessary. That'd be my game plan at least.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys.. i have a couple of well recommended shops here in Metro Atl, so i will call them and get it done... I don't have the tools nor the patience to do the work myself. And outside of changing the oil on the thing I will leave all mechanical work to the pros. I will let you all know what the diagnosis is. Stay tuned!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM

When starting for the first time of any given day, I always start my bike on full choke, hot or cold weather, and let it run that way, usually
about 1 minute, until the revs go from about 2200 to 3200, then I let choke off fully, and let the bike idle until the temp needle reaches the
bottom of the operating range.

Then take off. Works every time and never had a problem.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 AM

Well I went and pulled the battery because I had run it down on Satruday morning from repeated attemps at starting the bike afte it had started and died because I moved the choke......and it was very weak. Took it into Advance Auto parts and they tested it and it was very low and it immediately started to charge on thier machine.... battery got good and warm, so I took it back home, I cleaned the battery connectors up with a brilo pad, dropped it in and hooked it up and with a little bit of prompting (two tries) on the start button, Barney fired up.. so I suited up real quick while it was warming up... it was at about 2500 then it went op to about 3500 almost 4000 on the choke and then he was good and warm I walked the choke back to closed and he purred like a champ.... So I went for a nice little 45 minute ride getting it up above 5000 RPM.. broughtit on back home and parked it.. shut it off and tried one more time and fired right up. I am still going to go and get the Rectifier and the stator checked out this Saturday.The lady I bought it fromsaid this is what it was doing beforewhen the rectifier needed to be replaced.Stay tuned.