CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

I GOT A LEAK FROM THIS AREA

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I GOT A LEAK FROM THIS AREA

I am a new/beginer rider, and I got my first bike..of course a 92 CBR 600 F2. The bike was laided down on the left hand side, at a low speed going through a underground parking lot. The previous owner went down when he accidently went through a oil slick. Of course there is some minor scrapes, on the fairings and so on. My question is...On the left hand side of the bike there is a circular silver cover that sits or is in the mid lower fairing. Its the silver circular cover that shows in "bindelsf2" icon in his profile picture. What is that part called? Is it easy to fix? Because the bike is leaking some fluid from this part of the bike. There is some scapes on this part, and the fluid is like a pinkish color and is really silky feeling. Not a oil typefeel...but like a brake or clutch fluid silky feelin.
Also I had purchased a new battery because the guy who sold me the bike said the battery is really old and needs to be replaced. Well my battery now wont keep its charge...I am having to charge my battery with a charger or jump starting it by rolling and poping the clutch. Would this have to do with the leak I am having as mentione above?
Is there any website that can Identify motorcycle parts with pictures, and descriptions? I have the original owners manual and repair manual...Neither one of the two are described or shown.
Can any one help me?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I GOT A LEAK FROM THIS AREA

Bike Bandit gives you an interface for identifying and ordering parts: http://www.bikebandit.com/
Alternatively you can download the service manual: http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/

It's the Generator Cover (might be called a Stator cover I guess). Mine used to be black till I went down in a similar situation as the previous owner of your bike (screwed up my wrist too). Here's the schematic for CBR600F2: http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...F2/1994/187985

Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
I been going crazy searching for the name of this part and looking for help for the longest time. I didnt want to call Honda because I didnt want to feel stupid or retarded asking such a question. I guess I should swallow my pride once in awhile. I would of got the name of this part along time ago..lol
Thanks a million.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: houseurbody
Also I had purchased a new battery because the guy who sold me the bike said the battery is really old and needs to be replaced. Well my battery now wont keep its charge...I am having to charge my battery with a charger or jump starting it by rolling and poping the clutch. Would this have to do with the leak I am having as mentione above?
Judging from what goes on under this part, I would venture to say that it probably is related. Another thing that I found out from multiple threads on this forum, The Regulator/Rectifier is one of 3 components that typically go bad on this bike, which will also affect your battery not charging. If it's going dead when not running then perhaps there is a short. I'm still noob at this. Oh, and it's also recommended from others, if you replace the R/R don't go with the stock one. There's another one that you can get, but I don't remember for which bike..might have been a later model Suzuki (search the forum for R/R or Regulator Rectifier to confirm this...there's a ton of them out there). You can usually pick one up on eBay for a nominal price.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM

According to what Ive read so far in manuals, and repair books I purchased...its the alternator cover/stator cover. Question if anyone else knows the answer..Would a alternator leak oil or fluid? I never knew alternators had any oil or liquid. Confusing the hell out of me..??
Also when I was riding the bike this particular part at first had a very slow drip, like a drop every other day would be on the ground. During the week I went riding and went riding a lil longer time then I usually do. Well I am not sure because of the heat and riding it for a longer period. This drop every other day turned into a constant drip. Which by morning there was oil or some type of liquid all running down the driveway. Well not that exadurated but a good amount running from under the bike to about 4 feet past my bike. My oil pressure is normal, its not going low, all my fluids are all normal levels. What is this pinkish oily leak coming from my alternator?
I would take my bike to the Honda repair, but being on unemployement doesnt leave me with a whole lot of options for repairing anything. I am going crazy trying to pay rent, yet trying to get money to afford a Honda mechanic. Honda could be quiet costly, but garanteed.
If anyone can help me by adviseing me how to do this repair as low cost as possible. I will be very greatful and appreciative.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Only thing pink I could think of would be water wetter or red line cooling product mixed in the water in the radiator or cooling system. if it's dripping that bad and doesn't feel like oil, check the coolant level.

I am probably wrong, but I thought the stator didn't operate in an oil bath. If it is leaking from that cover and there isn't supposed to be anything in there, you got some problems.

Also, if the stator isn't supposed to be in the oil bath and is getting wet, then that could be why you aren't charging. It could also be the R/R, but you need to do some tests to figure that out. Either way it doesn't sound like a $5 fix.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Yeah, what Mike said.

the only recommendation I can make is review the repair manual and pull the part yourself. The answer might be self evident once it's off. Mke sure you have the recommended replacement parts on hand(gaskets, etc. ) before pulling. Maybe you have a friend that is a little handier than you that might give you a hand for a couple beers or something. Just make sure the drinking is after you are done!