CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Starting problem... SOLVED!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem... SOLVED!!!!!!

What's up gang... ok.. here is a little problem I am having.. I don't ride everyday here in Atlanta it is too hot right now, plus i have to dress nice for work Mon-Thur.

Problem is:I will go to start the '94 F2, fuel is turned from off to on, full choke, switch to run, hit the start button and it may take one to three trys and it fires up... bike will idle up to about 3K and sound really good. (I don't throttle it while it is warming) What happens next is the problem, as it is coming down from 3k while it is warming it will sputter and shut off. I will let it sit for about 5 mins and it will fire right up, but is smells like it is burning very rich at that point... a few mins go by and the "rich" smell is gone.

Is that a flooding problem? Are the plugs fouled? Do I need to get new plugs? What gives?

I have tried restarting without the choke but it won't start.. it has to be on full choke and like I said after it sits for a few mins it will fire up. Other than that little problem the bike is in great running condidtion. Good power, no CCT noise. Runs like a raped ape!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Default RE: Starting problem......

Bump! Come on guys help a guy out! LOL!!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Never mind you guys... I did some searchin adn found the answer.... basically start on full choke let it runn for about 10to 20 seconds and then ease back down on the choke and it should idel normally!I will try it whn I get home today. By the way it is about 85 degrees in the garage in the evenings so the darn thing should already be warm! LOL!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 AM

Good moring group.... Well after searching the thread snd finding a answere that looked like it would solve my problem i could not wait to get home and try the solution on my '94 F2. So i trun on the fuel, set choke to full, and start the bike took 2 clicks of the starter and it started and reved up nicely. I let it run on full choke for about 15 seconds and then eased the choke down to closed. Bike stayed on and ran like a champ. Problem solved!

Thanks CBRForum!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM

So are you saying that before you just started the bike and took the choke right off once started? That would explain why it sputtered and died. Does not explain why it wouldn't restart for 5 minutes though.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 AM

No Mike.... i would leave the choke on full and le the bike warm up for 3 to 5 minutes and then it would shut itself off and then it would not start again for 5 to 10 mins.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 AM

Oh, ok that makes sense a little, although with the choke on the idle goes up to about 5 grand on mine if I don't start to choke it down in 30 seconds or so. From there I have to play with it until I leave as it will stall if I take the choke off after the 30 seconds. I also need carb cleaning and adjustment, so that could be a reason.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 AM

i am going to have an assortment of things done to the bike next spring maintenance wise. Keep it running nicely.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 AM

just out of curiosity, whats ur idle rpm?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 AM

The idle is set at about 1500 to 1800. It was that way when I bought it from the lady that had it for 5 yrs. Also I hve read some thread on here about that very question.. most folks seem to be in that range jsut below 2k

Quick Reply: Starting problem... SOLVED!!!!!!