CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Starter Relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Relay

Yes i searched...and thats where i came to the assumption that my relay may be bad. Sometimes i go to start the bike...starts up fine...other times i have to play with it for a second (stand her up straight...pull the clutch...and hit the button)...then other times i have to push the bike to get it started(very annoying). When i first got the bike i didn't have a single problem..hit the button and bam it starts...now more frequently i have to play around with it to get the starter to fire. No clicks or anything when it doesn't start, the headlight doesn't turn off like it normally does when the starter works. I haven't checked the fuse yet(going to as soon as i post this), is there anything that i should check before i dump money into another starter relay?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Default RE: Starter Relay

you can get a cheaper relay at an auto parts store same exact thing costs much less. like $12USD

Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 PM

It wouldn't make sense that you would have to press levers or anything to get a relay to work. When voltage is applied they click into place. Sometimes the coil stocks and tapping on it could help. Also, if a fuse was bad, it would be bad, not "sorts of works sometimes".

You may want to start checking some of the connectors to make sure there isn't anything corroded. Perhaps one of those things youa re doing to get the bike started is what is going bad.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM

My starter relay went bad last summer. If you have a manual there is a starter relay diagnostic test in there (you need a voltmeter). I would suggest starting there otherwise there is a fuse in the top of the relay under the plug. (just in case you didn't know). Also double check your fuses because after I put the new relay in I found out the I blew a fuse trying to start it for the first time.

If you have any questions PM me I still remember some of the stuff I checked last summer.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Ok so i checked what i could(didn't have my volt meter), both the 10 and the 30 fuse are good, it started 4 times without a problem..then i get to a gas station turn the bike off...and she won't start back up, had to roll start it again...it almost seems that it won't start while the bike is hot...which doesn't make any sense at all to me. The terminals on the relay seem fine...and i tapped it a few times to see if anything would change(nothing did of course). Was thinking of wiring my own starter for a temp fix, its too warm of a day to be sitting around working on the bike....

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM

I have a 87 honda hurricane cbr600 and i have the same exact problem. I know how you feel, sometimes it will run fine go to a store, and try to fire it back up nothing, have to wait like 30 seconds and it a weak start, but sometimes it works fine. Other times push start(good exercise).

Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Banned

That's wierd. Did you ckeck the wiresgoing intothe starter button? The solder joints on mine broke last summer at the buttom and a similar problem resulted. Sometimes the wires would touch and sometimes they wouldn't. It killed my headlight too, though... Good luck lonewolf!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Yea i checked pretty much everything that i could without a voltmeter....i got in front of the bike...the headlight does go out when the button is pushed...just no click...it wont start without me holding the clutch in anymore.....nuetral safety switch?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:02 AM

i just had the same problem.......id hit the button ten times and it wouldnt do nothin but dim the headlight, then on like the eleventh try it would start no problem, well i had put in a trunk kit and one of the wires wasnt properly protected and was grounding out... check your battery terminalsand starter connections,

Old 04-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Is it odd that i'm cranking...well was cranking slow? The bikes battery was almost gone after 3 days of no riding...i threw the charger on to get it started...rode it for about an hour straight...now my lights no longer dim like they did with the turn signals on...it starts EVERY time...no stupid slow cranking...or anything...i'm thinkinh the battery is bad...hopefully thats all it is

Quick Reply: Starter Relay