CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

sprockets changed

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprockets changed

So I had bought my 94 this last December. The guy said that he had replaced the rear sprocket and that it was all stock size. Well, in a bit of ignorance on my part, I never really paid much attention to the rear sprocket, just lubed my chain regularly. Well, I was cleaning everything up one day and noticed that pretty much half of the teeth on the rear sprocket were knocked off. Sweet! I was like, damn, thats safe.
anyway, I decided to order a stock sprocket set and chain. There's a guy on ebay who has the best prices out of anyone. I think is business is actually called Halls of Medford in Medford Wisconsin but his ebay id is sledpartsguy I believe. I was able to get a new o-ring chain with a stock sized front and rear sprocket for a hundred bucks.
So I go to put them on and discover that my bike actually had a -1/+2 setup. I thought the rear sprocket was incredibly light and assume it was made out of aluminum. the one I put on is probably 5 times heavier and made of steel. All I can say is, going from the geared down setup to stock, is very disappointing. I mean, it just sucks the fun right out of it. I pin it in like third or fourth gear to pass a car and I don't get that real light unsprung front end feeling when I take off. Oh well I guess, probably keep me out of more trouble than it'll get me in to.
I would try and come up with some ways to build up the f2, but I think what I'll end up doing is probably buying an f4i or rr when the time is right.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my experience, and say that if you have those aluminum sprockets, be sure to look them over real good, because they probably aren't going to last.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: sprockets changed

Try to sell your new chain and sprockets and explain the story in your sale add, then get the -1/+2 back on there... it's way worth it.

That cheap aluminum sprocket is ****, it's way too soft and as you found out it's **** all around... They're throw away sprockets for racing or stunting and that's it, not practical at all.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM

I'm contemplating putting the -1 front sprocket back on just because that one seemed to be in more than acceptable condition. I just bought the set and figured it would do. In all reality I'll probably just leave everything as-is and upgrade to a newer bike in the future. But yeah, if there is anyone feeling hesitant about going with the sprocket upgrade, I'd say go for it because it turns the bike into a beast. But for now, I'm ok with taking it easy...

Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 AM

I honestly think all bikes should come from the factory geared that way (-1/+2) because it does just wake the bike right up.

You could go with the -1 on the front, it's just as good as going +2 in the rear and leaving the front stock... It will make some difference, it's a bummer that you found out too late though

Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Canyou explain -1/+2?? I think I want to do it now that you guys brought it up! What is involved in making the change?
Or how would I know if I got one now? The guy that had this bike before me looks like he took care of it.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM

The -1/+2 refers to the number of teeth on each sprocket differing from stock. The stock sized sprockets are 15 teeth on the front and 43 on the rear. So to have a -1/+2 is to say that your sprockets are 14 up front and 45 in back.
What you are effectively doing by making the front smaller and the rear larger is lowering the final gearing of the bike. What this means is that you'll reach power range at a lower speed and accelerate quicker. The trade off is that you lose top end speed. This shouldn't be too much of a concern, with the bike geared down I could wring an indicated 135 out of it and nothing more, which is plenty fast. It will change the dynamics of the bike. I thought my bike was quite 'jumpy' or 'twitchy' with the geared down sprockets on it. I'm sure it made it much easier to wheelie, though I never attempted (I have a dirtbike for that). Now that I have the stock gearing I don't mind its tamer attitude on the road so much. It's easier to ride and you don't have to worry as much about accidentally bringing the front end up. But if what you are looking for better acceleration, theres nothing else you can really do to this bike to make as big of an improvement as the geared down sprockets. The sprockets themselves aren't very difficult to change. If you know how to take the rear wheel off and put it back on and get your chain at the right tension and whatnot its pretty self explanatory how to do the rear. The front requires you to move the side fairing and the cover for the sprocket itself. Shift the bike into first gear, and use a socket to take the bolt out, then the sprocket should slide off.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks Elmer .... Very good write up!!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM

I'll just note that adding the -1/+2 conversion does make it slightly easier to wheelie but you still REALLY have to try to get it up, I have the -1/+2 and even if I pin it in first the front wont come up without bouncing it or clutching it.

It does wake it up though

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 AM

I have been also thinking about doing the -1/+2 sprocket change. Thought it would give me something to do when it gets could since i won't be riding it. Anyone know what thebetter brands to buy would be?or a good website or anything to buy them from? Will it also change anything else with the bike, such as maybe faster fuel consumption or something like that? and if so, about how many miles would you get out of a tank on the new sprockets? Some answers would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks!!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the -1/+2 with a vortex sprocket set, 520 conversion with a DID VM2 520 chain. I love it. The sprocket looks sick too. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the vortex sprocket is aluminum. I've seen afam's and renthal aluminum sprockets worn through in less then a season. I have never tried Vortex before.

Quick Reply: sprockets changed