CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Sprocket change, speedo adjustments

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket change, speedo adjustments

So I did my first year on my bike and had a blast, got a new job and can now afford to start making it mine. So I'm investigating getting a few parts and I know the bike needs new tires, sprocket, and chain just from wear. So I figured I'd keep the front sprocket stock size and go 3 up in the rear. Problem is I have no idea how to adjust the speedometer. I'm trying to keep that cost under $150 cause I've got other plans for the bike.

It's a stock 1992 F2

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why would you need to adjust the speedometer after changing the rear sprocket???? The speedo runs off the front tire mechanically btw

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered Users

i uh.... i didnt know that

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

lol

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Now that that is taken care of, I would not go with a +3 rear. Unless you are at the track only. It will pull harder but your gears will wind out a hell of a lot quicker (less top end) with that. At most i would go with a -1+2, I use that gearing at the track and it works fine. Keep in mind these girls are old school, carb'd, and cannot compete with the newer fi bikes. If you understand that you will be happy to save your money both on the sprocket and on your gas milage, and stick to stock gearing.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by script
Keep in mind these girls are old school, carb'd, and cannot compete with the newer fi bikes.
Script, I beg to differ. I have modded out my F23 and give Fi bikes a run for their money all day, everyday in the twisties. It comes down to tire selection, suspension(mine:Gsxr front forks and Fox twin-clicker rear), brakes and bolt-ons with carb tuning and jetting(stage 4). Plus, riding ability.
I hear all the time how much people sink into their Fi bikes and their racing ability about draggin' a knee. But when they get beat by a ratted-out dinosaur relic, they can only shake their heads and walk away.
Not everyone has the ability or time to tune these older and affordable bikes, but in the end it doesn't matter what you have, just willing to race to the finish line to be first.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM

i hate when people talk about twisties.... Show video or doesnt happen!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM

So i typed out a response and my computer rebooted, so i will try to replicate

Underground- I directed my comment at "firstbikef2" since this is his first bike and he wont be trying to resurrect a dinosaur I gave him my input. As far as your response: If you are able to ride two bikes at the same time, one being your f23, and one being a newer fi (07 gsxr 600) who would win? Easy right. For that reason alone I am not conceding to your point. Yes it come down to the rider, many people think they can mod there way to the podium but it all doesn't work out as planned. Since you have gsxr forks, and they came stock on an fi bike (more than likely) you have to see your wrong. When you have to take a piece from here, a part from there, a fabrication or 10 to make things fit on your f2, you know the bike is lacking compared to the newer ones. Too many people have the $3200 rims and tires on their 88' monte carlo. For that money you could have bought a used prius and saved the environment, which is totally cool. ha but seriously the mods you have: stage 4 = $$ gsxr front = $$$ fox TC $$+ time since they no longer make this shock and finding one is rougher than a pine cone toilet seat.

"when they get beat by a ratted-out dinosaur relic, they can only shake their heads and walk away" - thats why you do it, like the old boys with american muscle who now need a 50k engine + trans in their cars to keep up with the newer cars that are 1500lbs lighter. You do it t prove a point, but eventually these bikes are not worth the $+effort. I wrench myself on these and have 2 track prepped, but am i going to put down 2000$ in CF rims to drop a few lbs to keep up and give the fi boys the stink eye...no.

Having owned 3 f2s i can say very clearly there are 4 types of owners

1. The guy who wants a cheap bike that will teach him how to ride
2. The "collector" call him Mr. Nostalgia
3. The guy who has one but has many others in his garage.
4. The guy who initially bought this bike to learn how to ride, and now is willing to invest 3x more than the initial purchase to keep his hobby going, because investing 500$ a year is not an issue but coming up with 5k to get a newer bike that will run circles around these is out of the question.

and numbers #1 and #4 both want super cheap deals on everything they buy, they come on this forum and make posts titled "just got my first bike" then 5 days later are asking for ohlins parts, cf rims, and "how to convert to F4i" but will do nothing more than dream.

Now that my rant is over know that i do have 2 of these girls, they are much loved, and know their spot in my garage.

Last edited by script; 03-21-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM

For reference... stock is 15/43=2.867 final drive. A smaller front sprocket has a greater influence on final drive ratio than a larger rear. +3 is 3.067 vs -1 is 3.071.... +3 is less than -1+2 combo... 3.067 vs 3.214

15/44=2.933 (+1)
15/45=3 (+2)
15/46=3.067 (+3)

14/43=3.071 (-1)
14/44=3.143 (-1,+1)
14/45=3.214 (-1,+2)
14/46=3.285 (-1,+3)

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered Users

So my decision has come to keeping it stock, had a nice ride last week and realized I don't need a smaller sprocket, I just need to learn to be more comfortable on the throttle. No I don't plan on converting the front end or switching the swing arm or making the plastics look like something it's not. I just wanted a bike I would learn on and all the parts I replace are for my safety (ie. oil, air filter, brakes, tires).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sprocket change, speedo adjustments