CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Sprocket advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket advice

Hello,
I am new to streetbikes and I have a question about sprockets on the 1992 CBR600f2 that I'm purchasing.

The current owner has a 'wheelie' set up with the sprockets on it at the moment, but the sprockets are relativley old and should be replaced.

I would rather have something with less torque, I don't want to sneeze, slip on the throttle a bit, and pop a wheelie, haha.

I was told by the employees at a local honda/ducati store that a steel sprocket kit with an o-ring chain, 2 above stock would work well for me. I wanted to get a second opinion, because from my understanding, with a stock sprocket, wheelies are still easily done on this bike. I would imagine that either a stock, or smaller than stock rear sprocket would be ideal.

my questions are:
A) What is the stock sprocket, both front and back?
and
B) What size sprockets would you recommend for a beginner?

Thank you

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Sprocket advice

I would ride the bike with stock sprockets untill you feel fully comfortable with it..then research about upping your teath, the stock size is 15 front and 43 rear. Most "wheelie" or "fast acceleration" kits do 14 front and 45 rear.....which is most likely what you have on your bike. What condition is the sprocket on the bike in right now?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM

So you think I should go with the stock sprocket size?

I wonde why the guys at the dealership suggested 2 above stock.

The sprocket and chain on the bike right now is relativley worn down but still useable.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM

No, wheelie sprockets are in the 50+ range.

Get a 45 rear and and stock, or smaller front.

If you're going to get a new chain, get a 520 conversion kit. The reduced weight apparently increases acceleration (and reduces your bikes weight, obviously). 530 is overkill for a stock, 15 year-old 600.

I have a 45 and stock front, and it doesn't do accidental wheelies.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Sweet, thanks for the advice.

What's the benefit of having a 45 over a 43, which is stock?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 PM

43 is stock...45..basically transfers the amount of torque your engine makes differently. It causes the rpms to be higher...so say with stock gearing in 2nd gear....your travelling at 40mph at say...4500 rpm...with the sprocket youll be in the same gear...doing the same speed...but your rpms are going to be more like 5200 or even 5500....which also makes your gas mileage a bit worse....so your engine will still produce the same amount of torque(because you didnt mod the engine) but the torque to the wheel will be higher because of it...hope that helps!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM

That is a valid point.

So SpectR, what do you think is the benefit of having two above stock in the rear sprocket?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM

It improves acceration without any real downsides whatsoever.

What what I've read, going down one on the front and up two in the rear doesn't even affect the theoretical top speed, and doesn't change the gearing, yet it still increases the amount of torque to the rear wheel (because of mechanical/physics reasons)

Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 AM

Hm. both are valid points.
I'm still confused as to which would be better, 2 up or stock...
DJ's point of more RPM's makes sense.
The issue with torque is that I'm trying to keep the torque at a normal level as opposed to so much torque that I can wheelie easily.
I still don't really know which one to go with.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 AM

What what I've read, going down one on the front and up two in the rear doesn't even affect the theoretical top speed, and doesn't change the gearing, yet it still increases the amount of torque to the rear wheel (because of mechanical/physics reasons)
Going one down on the front is the equivalent to 3 up in the back.

Anytime you change the gearing,you affect top speed,gas mileage and many other things.

At the track,stock gearing works well at every track I go to.

Quick Reply: Sprocket advice