CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Something Doesnt Sound Right...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Doesnt Sound Right...

I got my new F2 92 last week and everything is great except when i am below 6000 rpms it doesnt seem like it is getting the same power or enough gas,,,It doesnt really sputter it just doesnt run wide open unitl 6000 rpms...Also when I let off the gas the d&d muffler sounds like its backfiring, but no flames or anything, sounds like its gurgling...The carbs have been jetted recently and I dont know what I should do to alleviate this problem...It still rides great just a little harder to keep it moving good under 6000 rpms...

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Something Doesnt Sound Right...

Thanks for the help...

Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM

You say you had the carbs re-jetted...

Was this something said by the seller..or did you have it done by a mechanic you know and trust...?

One thing...and it's not going to make you feel any better...but it's the truth.

600 Bikes don't really feel, drive, or feel powerful until at the very least...6 grand on the tach.

600 bikes are built to be revved...

Mine is not weak at lower rpm's, but when it hits 6500...7 grand...everything...the world.....begins that nice smooth, powerful whoosh you are lookng for.

Also...use gas that is from a good source.

Shell, Chevron, Mobile, (Mobile is ok...)

Quicktrip gas...Racetrack gas is cheaper because..well basically it sucks.

The storage tanks at the better stations I mentioned are better maintained...kept free of water...and replinished properly because more people buy gas from the bigger dealers...gas cards and all...etc.

If this doesn't answer your question....get a tape recorder or a vid cam and post a demo of what you are talking about.

That would help.

Also...have you chekced your airbox...and filter?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 PM

He told me he jetted the bike....its not the power that concerns me, It sounds like it nots getting gas when the throttle is twisted just slightly, i was thinking about getting a dyno-jet kit iinstalled...How much would that cost? I just want to be able to cruise at higher speeds without killing the throttle...I am checking the airbox tommorrow but i fear it is indeed the carbs,,,because i after i run it i can really smell gas...Thanks I will make a video clip of it and post it...THANKS MAN...

Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that its not a power issue it just seems that it isnt getting enough air or gas...Thanks Again

Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Troutman3000

Just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that its not a power issue it just seems that it isnt getting enough air or gas...Thanks Again
Again check the air filter

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 PM

He told me he jetted the bike....its not the power that concerns me, It sounds like it nots getting gas when the throttle is twisted just slightly, i was thinking about getting a dyno-jet kit iinstalled...How much would that cost? I just want to be able to cruise at higher speeds without killing the throttle...I am checking the airbox tommorrow but i fear it is indeed the carbs,,,because i after i run it i can really smell gas...Thanks I will make a video clip of it and post it...THANKS MAN...
You have the same problems I had...you need all the o-rings and fuel pipes replaced...one or more are broken, due to coldand plastic age..and if you live in the town I do...the cold, age of the plastic and the 1 million and one potholes, about 1/3 of which are unavoidable.

This happens...even if a bike just sits there...cold, hot, damp, dry...all cause wear and tear.

Take it to another mechanic...

See my post...

Recent problems with local dealer"...

Old 03-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Are the Orings in the Carbs or just around the fuel lines? Is this something I can do myself? Should I still have the Carbs re-jetted? Would an old muffler have anything to do with it...I am taking that thing apart today and taking a look at them...

Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Are the Orings in the Carbs or just around the fuel lines? Is this something I can do myself? Should I still have the Carbs re-jetted? Would an old muffler have anything to do with it...I am taking that thing apart today and taking a look at them...
The carbs are in a 4 row arrangement...corresponding to the inline 4 cylinders of the engine.

The carbs are held together by brackets...and there is a fuel line...made of rubber that feeds an irrigation system of pipe fitings.

This irrigation system are the pieces made of hard plastic...and where these pipe fittings go into each carb, there is a small, soft rubber o-ring that seals the fit...preventing gas from leaking out. You have an aluminum carb body...fed by a hard plastic pipe...so the o-rings are necessary to avoid fuel leaks.

And that is exactly what you have...a fuel leak!!!!!!!

(slow drip or dripping depending on how many rings and/or pipes are damaged)...which can be dangerous.

You need to get this taken care of immediately.
Don't just blow it off and keep riding it.

You might end up standing on the side of the road one day...bike in flames...approaching fire engine sirens wailing away.

Don't want to potentially catch the bike on fire..right?

What happens is that over time...the soft, rubber o-rings dry out...and become as hard as a rock...and this prevents a good seal between the irrigation pipes and the carb bodies. Thus...causing the leak.

If you have never done any carb work yourself...I would find a good mechanic and let him do it.

It's a time consuming job...lots of little parts that need removal and replacing...

You can't do it in a 2-3 hour period....if you have no experience.

Even the most experienced mechanics...t's gonna take them 4-5 hours to do right...

Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks Man,

If i bought a new dyno jet kit would these O-rings be in this set of parts or is that something totally different? How much would you think all this carb work would cost?

Quick Reply: Something Doesnt Sound Right...