CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

some cool info.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some cool info.

Here are some info I found off of motorcycletips.com

The list below contains most of the common modifications done to the ever-popular Honda CBR600. Of course there are many other modifications that can be done but these are the ones that most people ask about. If you have any additional info or comments to add, please email me! I'd love to hear from you! Enjoy!

Sprocket Change

One way to make the bike quicker off the line is to change the sprockets. This can be accomplished by increasing the number of teeth by one or two on the back sprocket or lowering the number of teeth by one or two on the front sprocket. Changing the front or the rear sprocket is basically the same thing as if you slightly, yet permanently lowered all the gears on your ten speed. (Remember those?) You have to pedal slightly faster but hill climbing and wheelies don’t require as much effort! Hence, quicker off the line! Simply due to the labor involved with changing the back sprocket, most people change the front sprocket to a 14T. There was a rumor that changing the front sprocket instead of the back may cause premature wear to the chain but no one I’ve ever talked to has been able to confirm that.

Exhaust

Exhaust modifications are a very passionate subject. I think the main reason is that there are so many choices and none of them are really wrong. The first question is how much do you want to spend. If you’re looking for a cheaper choice, a slip-on may be for you. They’re usually pretty easily to install, still give the bike a decent sound, look good and most of all cost about half as much as a full header and exhaust system. Now, you might say, “but what about the horsepower increase?” WARNING: Don’t let the magazine adds fool you!! On a liter-bike, a full exhaust might add 5 to 10 horsepower. On a 600, however, a full system might only add 3 – 5 ponies if you’re lucky. After spending hundreds of dollars on a new full exhaust system, many people will say, “Wow, I sure can feel the extra horsepower!” Usually not very likely! They’re actually “hearing” the extra horsepower, if you catch my drift! The biggest benefits to getting a full system are improved looks, awesome throaty sound and significantly lighter than the stock system. Buddy of mine put a D&D full chrome system on his F2. Looked great, but mostly it made the bike sound like a big-bore bike! Way cool! Probably, the most popular system for the CBR600 is the Two Brothers Racing pipe. It’s a high quality system with a great sound at a decent price. LINK FOR TBR EXHAUST

Jetting

Why are there 3 stages? The different stages are for different types of engine modifications. A stage I kit is designed for use with the stock air box, possibly an aftermarket air filter, stock engine size/head design/valves, and stock or aftermarket exhaust system. A stage III kit assumes individual air filters, aftermarket (race) exhaust, and potentially head work or oversize engine. Just putting on a stage III kit will not give you more power by itself. If it doesn’t match the modifications on the bike, it will actually hurt performance. Therefore, a stage I jet kit is usually appropriate for the majority of street bikes out there. The jet kit change is also the primary cure for the annoying flat spot that plagues the CBR600. Dynojet 1157 kit (This is one of the main reasons I’m considering the modification.) Along with the jet kit, a K&N Filter will allow the engine to breath a little better, although the HP gain for the filter is basically immeasurable.

Ignition Advancer

Typical choice for the ignition advancer for the CBR600 is the +4 degrees.

PowerPak

From the majority of the people I’ve talked to, most will tell you that unless you’re doing serious engine work, the Pak won’t do anything for you. It basically alters the ignition advance and changes the rev limit. The ignition advancer mentioned above will work just fine