CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

slipping gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: slipping gears

Excellent!
That doesn't sound so bad. I've got the original engine on the workbench so I can practice on that before I tear into the bike again.
I seized the engine, but I know the trans was in perfect working order. This junkyard engine I got runs great, but I'm guessing the trans isn't so good.
With any luck, I'll be able to make one good eng/trans out of what I've got.

Thanks for the help! If you get around to posting pics, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll take pics and post them.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 PM

If it is more than just the forks, I would save on $$ by removing the stuff yourself, then take just the parts to a shop and have them do the work if there are special tools needed. then put it back in the bike yourself. You'll save some labor dollars, get some experience and they'll do the work that requires specialized tools.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 AM

I had to get the good shift forks out of the old engine, so I took some pics.
Didn't get very far though.

(bindelsf2's words/my pics) - Click pictures to enlarge

remove oil pan

disconnect clutch cable
take off the clutch cover

unscrew all the clutch springs
remove the clutch basket and all disk

remove 27mm nut (need a new one you cant reuse it)

This is where I got stuck:
remove clutch housing

I can't get the clutch housing off. Is there a special technique for this?
Please help!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 AM

yeah take a pliers or a screwdriver and loosen the center bushing with the 2 notches..i took a screwdriver in the notch and just tapped it around... make sense??

or you can spread a needlenose pliers into a v so that there is one tip in each notch and loosen it..

Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Okay - that makes perfect sense.
I was trying to move the outer ring, I didn't try the inner ring because it moved with the shaft.
Should I put something between the gears to stop it from spinning while I'm tapping the inner ring?
Is it on very tight?

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:12 PM

mine was loose i held the shaft with my hand....(that didnt sound good)

Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 AM

LoL
I guess that if it's your own shaft, that's ok? ?!?

I went right to the garage I rent after work and followed your advice. That "collar" isn't actually threaded, it's actually just slid into place, I don't really know what's keeping it in place besides the clutch basket. I ended up putting the nut back on and spinning it with the impact wrench. The rotation spun the collar out enough that I could just grab it with a pair of pliers.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll get more pics when I go back and take the actual bike apart. I'm hoping to get the bike all together by this weekend!

Thanks again for all your help! Definately couldn't have done it without you!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 AM

glad to hear.. yeah i spun that collar for a while and then i just slid the basket off, i didnt check to see if it was threaded or not..

the pain of the whole thing is the shift forks that i got in were for a F3 or 95-98 900RR (i needed 93 900RR ones so i have the bike all apart still waiting for the RIGHT shift forks to come in..

Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Man, that sucks!
I'm lucky in one respect, as I have the old engine to play with before I actually have to do it IN the bike. I managed to get the same year engine out of the salvage yard, so I'm hoping things fall into place. I'm going out on my lunch break to see if I can get that 27mm nut and the gaskets locally, if not I'll just order them. Do I just ask for the clutch housing nut?

I was fascinated by the inner workings of the transmission, how the shift forks move the gears into place, how everything meshes together. I probably spent a half hour taking things apart and putting them back together, then running through the gears to see how things worked. It's surprisingly simple, but complex at the same time! (Does that make sense? LOL)

Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 AM

is this process the same you think for my 06 600rr?

yay for the search feature!

Quick Reply: slipping gears