CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

slipping gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping gears

hey guys,

I bought a '92 F2 a few weeks back and havnt started seriously riding until now, and I've noticed a problem in the trasmission. When im moderately accelerating in 2nd, the thing slips back into neutral. I've searched around and heard that my shift fork might be bent. I gave a repair shop a call and they told me that power-wheelies are probably the only thing that can ruin a honda tranny. Looks like the prevous owner wasnt 100% honest with me. They quoted me about 1500 to fix the darn thing. For the time being I've been skipping 2nd all together, shifting straight into third. Now, for the quote. Is 1500 bucks a reasonable price? And, how many man hours would i be looking at if i decided to make this my new project. I noticed the tranny parts arnt that expensive themselves, so, if i could do it, i might be able to pull it off for about $300 or so. What do you guys think?

And... are there any other reasons this might be happening?

-casper911ca

Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Default RE: slipping gears

first i must commend you on actually searching first!! thanks [sm=hail.gif]

and yes that is the shift fork, mine does the EXACT same thing! but mine kicks to nuetral at about 6,000 rpm's in 2nd...i dont know how hard it will be to fix but i think 1500 is REALLY high, let me know if you do it yourself!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 AM

1500 seems pretty high. The engine has to be removed from the bike (about 1.5 - 2 hours), then the cases have to be split (about 2-3 hours), necessary repairs completed (about .5-1 hours), reassemble the engine (about 2-3 hours) and re-install in the bike (about 1.5-2 hours). That's anywhere from 7.5-11 hours just in labor depending on how familiar the mechanic is with engine removals and teardowns. The shop I work at has a labor rate of $75.00 per hour so excluding parts that would be between $562.50 and $825.00. Also, more than likely, the dogs on your 2nd gear and the adjoining gear are probably worn round from slipping out under load. These will probably need to be replaced in addition to the shift fork and/or possibly shift fork shaft and/or possibly shift drum. You can't say with authority just because it is slipping that it is the shift fork. All of these parts work in conjunction with each other to move the gears on the transmission shaft.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 AM

why not just pick up a used trans for 100-200 bucks and throw it in, then you can mees with the other one at you leasure and try to fix it your self.. Its a great way to learn about what you are riding

Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM

$1500 is high...for Tennessee where I live...and probably high for you if you are not in Souther California (where everything costs twice as much). I think there are two arguments here: I always encourage working on your bike yourself if you have the tools, the time, and a membership to CBRForum! But at the same time, it is May and it might be nice to pay to have work done and have your bike on the road sooner.

Me, I am not a mechanic, and I have just basic tools (wrenches, sockets, no air tools), but I would probably try to get a used tranny off a wrecked bike and replace it myself...low cost, good experience working on the bike, and only one person to blame if it doesn't work out!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Go with new. You never really know what you'll get with used.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 PM

if the issue is limited to 2nd only, just buy new parts...maybe 2 gears and/or a fork..

$1500...estimating parts at $125, that leaves 1375...at 70/hr nearly 20 hours....sounds steep....should be less than half that....

Splitting the cases is not a job I recommend for anyone without engine building experience.

Keep calling around.....find an independant shop to quote teh job...dealers charge what the books says....and are generally a little higher per hour anyway.

good luck.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 PM

just a little update to a old post.. i did my shift forks today and you do not need to take the engine out and you dont need to crack the case for the shift forks...

if you need to replace gears then you have to crack the cases but i would get the shift forks then check the gear dogs when you are in there..

shift forks-55.00 a piece X3
gaskets 20.00
labor-free.

took about 2 hours teardown..

Old 06-16-2007, 12:43 AM

You didn't happen to take any pics, did you?
Any chance for a little "how-to"? I'm having a similar problem, but I've just recently got this bike running so I don't know the extent of the problem, but I'm pretty sure I've got to replace the clutch, so I'll have the bike apart (again) anyhow.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:59 AM

yeah i will do a write up on it.. with pics

in short:
remove exhaust
remove oil
remove oil pan
disconnect clutch cable
take off the clutch cover
unscrew all the clutch springs
remove the clutch basket and all disk
remove 22mm nut (need a new one you cant reuse it)
remove clutch housing
take out both bearing retainers for the shift drum
pull the shift fork shaft out and catch all 3 forks (note thier positions)

install in reverse!

NOTE: you will need a oil pan gasket, clutch cover gasket, 22mm socket and clutch nut before doing this. obviously oil, and the parts you are replacing..

i leaned the bike over on itsleft side on the frame sliders to do it all..

Quick Reply: slipping gears