CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Skepticism - First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Skepticism - First Bike

Hey all, I'm new here, and pretty new to bikes in general. I'm looking at a 1991 f2 that doesn't run. It was apparently taken apart by the previous owner to have modifications done to it; he ran out of money and sold it to the current owner in pieces. He has put most of it together but it definitely needs a good carb cleaning, and I noticed the airbox is missing. He said he plugged all the electrical back in and it has a new battery, but when I turned the key to check if there was a headlight bulb, I didn't notice any power anywhere. He's asking $700 and I think I'm going to offer $300 or $400. Also the fairings are all there, except the upper is a little damaged, but I'm most likely going streetfighter with it. Is my price fair or should I be worried? I'm looking at it again this week to possibly buy it, so if someone could help before then, that'd be great.

Also, is there anything specific I should check for when I go back to look at it again? anything major that should concern me, I dont mind working on it and putting a little (little) money in to it I just need to know asap.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM

I forgot to say that it has only 10,000 miles.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

It doesn't turn on so it's hard to say. With a bike in this condition i'd at least want to know if it has compression. I suppose it all depends on how menchanically inclined you are. If you can figure out a manual, turn a wrench, and most definitely use a volt meter from the sounds of the electrical issues it may be worth it. To me personally it seems guys buy a dead bike like this with the best intentions in mind only to never finish it and pass it along to the next fellow. I personally won't buy a bike that I can't even turn over with the starter. To many things that could be wrong with it.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply!
I'm confident I can fix any electrical problems, though I think the guy just plugged stuff in wrong (I asked where the airbox was and he had no idea what I was talking about). I'm no mechanic, but I can do basic things like clean the carbs, find/assemble the parts, and give it a tune up.

That does concern me about the compression, but I think I'm willing to take a gamble.

So with all that said, do you think $300 to $400 would be the max I buy it for?

Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$300-500 for a bike with less than perfect fairings that doesn't run isn't unreasonable. You could probably part it out if you don't do anything with it, and if you never work on it, you will find another buyer in that price range.

I'd probably pay the $700 if the engine ran, and the bike was drivable enough to roll down the street and shift thru the gearbox.

this is one of those deals where you have to ask "Is this guy being honest - did he really just run out of time or desire to work on it, or is he trying to sell you a $700 paperweight?"

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 06-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the input adrenalnjunky.
It's not in the condition to ride it down the street, and I do believe this guy is being at least mostly honest. So I decided, if he still has it when I go back, that I'll stick around $300-400. If he's stubborn about letting it go for that much, then he can keep the fairings.

After I go to look it again, I'll post an update as to how it all went.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Think about it.... You're new to bikes and want to only put "a little" money into it. The bike is 21 years old, missing parts, in pieces, not running, been sitting, and....the guy selling it never saw it together or running. It's not an impossible project, but unless you know what a put together bike looks like, it will be difficult. You will be putting more than "a little" money into it to maybe get it running. You will be putting lots of money to get it road worthy.

If you want to spend all your time and money in the hopes that it might run, and after you replace everything else...able to ride, go ahead. Why not find one that runs and rides already? Those older bikes are not that much more in decent, riding condition. Then your money can be spent going forward with your mods, and your time riding it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point 74. I bought mine for $900, running, but needed cosmetics, tires, fork seals, chain and sprockets. Mechanically I had it road ready for another ~$600ish. Cosmetically I got about another $300 into paint, fairing repair and supplies.

Streetfighter route still requires the mechanical/electrical stuff.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM

You guys raise good points. When I said a little money, I meant I don't want to spend a couple thousand. I was hoping if I got it for $300, I wouldn't have to go above $1k to get it running. I'm in no rush to ride; and around my area, it's hard to find working bikes under $2k. If the guy absolutely refuses to take $300-400, I'll just walk.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilsman
...If the guy absolutely refuses to take $300-400, I'll just walk.
That, sir, is a good plan...if you want to gamble with more money than that, you could always find a poker game or go to Vegas!! (well, Atlantic City for you Flordians!)

Last edited by JNSRacing; 06-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.