CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Should I Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy??

I'm looking at a 1993 Honda CBR600 F2 and I have no clue if it's worth the money the guy's asking for it. I'll post a picture of it here and I have some more details too.

First of all, on his ad he said it had never been laid down and when I was first looking at the ad the asking price was $3300. After a couple days I noticed the price dropped to $2950 and when I went to look at it today I asked him why (before I saw the bike) and he said it was because it was dropped at his dad's when it was being moved and it cracked some of the plastic and scratched some of the lower plastics as well. The small plastic right below the tank is cracked and there is some more below that and on the front near the headlight. It also looks like it slid because part of the lower blue stripe on the bike is scratched up and I'm not sure if this could have happened if he dropped it.

Other than that the bike seems to be in excellent mechanical condition. It probably needs to have the oil and filter changed but other than that it ran great. No hesitation on acceleration, sounded great (although I'm not a professional when it comes to motorcycles).

So my main question is: Is this bike worth the money ($2950)? I'm pretty serious about this so any serious (and unbiased) help you guys can give me would be great. And if you have any other questions about it I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9284/3776EABB846D441DBF0BDFDD3420828C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Default RE: Should I Buy??

check the levers and foot pegs for scrapes. how many miles are on it? how old are the tires? how many miles on them? how old is the owner? consider all of things you'll have to replace or will need to soon. tires probably being the most expensive. over $200 plus mounting fees. Offer $2500 and see what he says.. if its a no, offer $2600 cash and tell him that is all you can spend. If he still says no, then start nit picking all the things you'll have to replace, tires, oil, any burned out lights ect. If all else fails give'em the $2950 and enjoy your new bike!!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:38 AM

ok I'm going to try to answer all those questions. The bike has 22,000 miles on it. Tires have about 2000 miles on them. Owner is in his late 20's, early 30's. Of the things I'll have to replace...The first will probably the sections of the plastic that are cracked and/or scraped. It looked like the tires had the number of miles he said on them (again, not an expert). All the lights and gauges work, and I didn't even think to look at the foot pegs or shift/brake levers for scrapes. But it seems to be worth the money then? Even with the cracked plastics?

Old 07-14-2006, 02:46 AM

what area do you live in? just found this on cycle trader in Pa. An F3 with less miles for $3500

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/6/83359936.htm

Old 07-14-2006, 02:53 AM

Yeah I remember seeing that one but I'm in California and my mom and dad both are going through some health issues at the moment so it's hard for me to get away. And honestly, I'm not a big fan of purple [8D]. The guy told me that a local salvage yard had the fairing I'd need to replace the damaged one for $150 in the same paint scheme and everything, so if thats possible it sounds like a much better deal already.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:53 AM

Yeah I remember seeing that one but I'm in California and my mom and dad both are going through some health issues at the moment so it's hard for me to get away. And honestly, I'm not a big fan of purple [8D]. The guy told me that a local salvage yard had the fairing I'd need to replace the damaged one for $150 in the same paint scheme and everything, so if thats possible it sounds like a much better deal already.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 AM

I would offer $200 less than $2950 and go from there. Check the tire for a flat spot in the middle. Also check the looks of the chain, if its been neglected probably everything else has been to. The bike probably runs fine, but look for the things that might end up needing changed right away, costing you more money then you planned on spending.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:10 AM

My 92 f2 is priced in the kelly blue book at 2650

do a kelly blue book check on that year and go from there!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info...the only thing I'm worried about are the costs of the damaged fairings. Any idea what those cost?

Old 07-14-2006, 06:07 PM

another quick question (one that I don't expect an unbiased answer on). A 1997 Suzuki GSXR 750 just turned up in the paper with 18k miles on it for $2500. For the money, which is the better bike? And keep in mind this will be my first time on a street bike. I'm not sure whether or not the 750 is too big for me and I need to stay with a 600 for my beginner bike. Thanks