CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Shift Fork Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift Fork Help!

Ok, so after all the clutch replacement, my bike still wants to jump gears at higher RPM's. Though the Pro Shift kit is nice and helps, still wants to jump in 2nd and 3rd.

Here is the question; what special tools I need to get in order to swap the parts out and which shift fork would be worn out on the lower gears, let alone anything I also need to replace while in there(bearings, etc.)?

Winter Project.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Ok, so after all the clutch replacement, my bike still wants to jump gears at higher RPM's. Though the Pro Shift kit is nice and helps, still wants to jump in 2nd and 3rd.

Here is the question; what special tools I need to get in order to swap the parts out and which shift fork would be worn out on the lower gears, let alone anything I also need to replace while in there(bearings, etc.)?

Winter Project.
Ok, since it's not the clutch...

My next guess might be the detent spring. But you say you installed the pro shift kit. Did you use the arm & the new spring? Or did you reuse the old spring? Did you replace the detent start also? I'll assume you used the new spring.

So next thing is to double check everything else before you pull the engine apart. Check the cush drives, rear bearing. Just make sure it's not something else in the driveline. Those problems are a lot easier to fix that tranny issues.

Finally, if it is a tranny issue, it could be a bent shift fork or a worn dog gear or a bad shaft bearing, or something else. I've even see a broken drive gear tooth. Anyway, here's what I would do. First, take it apart and figure out what is actually wrong with it. Don't just start throwing parts at it. Buying and replacing individual tranny parts can be long and painful and often not fix the problem. Make sure the case isn't cracked around the shaft bearings. Next assuming it wasn't serious, just get a complete used gearset with forks and swap out everything. It's a lot cheaper, faster and easier.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup... i agree with phil314 on check the simple stuff first and if it is the trans best to take it apart first to find the issue then start ordering parts because sometimes when doing a job like that you may start finding other areas of concern and with the cost of parts it can put you in the poor house fast..

Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 AM

I have 2 spare motors to choose parts from already, but thanks for the insight from keeping me out of the poor house. I can easily take from them and a bottom end gasket kit is about $30 or under on fleabay.

Yes, I did replace the arm and the spring, so far the shifting is beautiful and I really like it. Should've come stock from the factory. If anyone who hasn't done the Pro-Shift kit, I highly recommend it if you are doing a clutch swap.

Lastly, my F2/3 is just as fast or if not faster than most modern day 600's and built up the top end, now need to do the bottom end. Thinking about doing a lightend crank from cbrzone and free up some power and really work the 530 chain. I think that is the last thing I can do for power on this Hellcat.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Any special tools I may need to get in the bottom-end gear and fork swap?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really. You'll have to remove alot of stuff, but one the lower case is separate, the gear shafts popout. The shift fork rod slide out too.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Hey, thanks! I assume the crankshaft is close to accessable too once I get to the gears. I want to get it lightened by CBRzone.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's all open for you. To remove the flywheel you wheel need a 20m bolt, but you can pick one up for about five bucks. I have pics of the bottom end with the pan removed in my thread if us wanna take a peek. I can take some more too seeing as how it's still apart atm if ya need them.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Thanks buddy!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 AM

Where can I find the 20mm to pull the fly wheel off for $5? Ebay has them for $23 and obviously like not to have to spend that much.

Quick Reply: Shift Fork Help!