CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Setting up an F2 for the track - somebody has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up an F2 for the track - somebody has done it?

Hey guys, I wanted to get some feedback from the group. I am new to riding at track days this year. I have done three so far and am now officially hooked. I was wondering if anyone has set up their '94 F2 for track time? I am mostly looking for suspension mods and settings.

Right now the bike is stock with Pirelli Diablo tires and an aftermarket can. I have a jet kit in it too, but that's it. I have set my Sag and adjusted my rebound rates. The bike rides well on track and on the road but the suspension is just so much softer than today's bikes. Any body have any pointers? Thanks

Jason

Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Setting up an F2 for the track - somebody has done it?

get the appropriate springs from racetech for your weight. Also swap out the fork fluid to a 15W. If you got the money, you can change the valving too. If been seeing a couple aftermarket shocks for the F2 around lately. They seem to sell for about $300. Fox or Penske will do just fine. Or you can go the cheap route and pick up an F4i shock and just swap that in. It'll raise the rear over an inch but it might be better. If you dont like it, you will need to find a lowering link to bring the bikes geometry back. Ive also read that investing in some SS brake lines, nice pads, and fresh brake fluid will help alot as well. Also, you may want to swap to an F3 rear wheel since it will allow you to run a 180 tire. I hope you are already running a 120/70 tire up front and raise the forks to compensate. Ive just had my F2 for about a week but learned a lot through these forums. Dont think of me as a noob though. I have an R6 thats pretty well sorted out for the track.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the tips on the springs, I will check into that. The F4i shock trick is intriguing (don't want to spend $300) but i wonder how much the added height goofs with the ride?

I've done the SS lines, pads, brake fluid trick, so I'm ahead there

I still have the stock front tire for the bike. What does the 120/70 do for you?

Good tip on the rear rim too, I have been thinking of picking up an extra rim to mount track tires on. That way I save my rubber for the track and don't waste it here on the Iowa roads!

Thanks

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM

I dropped my clipons below the triples, removed as much weight as possible (its a track only bike for me), used a mod I found here to raise the footpegs for free, also running Pirelli Diablos (love them), -1 +2 gearing, 520 chain, upgraded the brake master cylinder, stainless lines

I don't have a lot of extra money to throw around, so I like cheap mods, might try the F4i shock and maybe eventually the F3 rear rim like powerban suggested, also could use the jet kit and brake pads and a steering damper at some point

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM

I too am running pirelli's and I also love them. They are great on the track and hold up well on the street.

Do you happen to remember what the rearset mod was? I searched for about 30 minutes and couldn't find the thread on it.

Also, powerban, where did you get your racetech springs? I haven't had any luck finding the actual company online.

Thanks for the pointers

Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM

here's the thread about raising the footpegs

https://cbrforum.com/m_155821/tm.htm

racetech is a great company, you can send your forks or shock to them for complete customization or they sell parts, luckily they are also located 20 minutes from me in MD

http://www.racetech.com/

Old 09-12-2008, 01:49 PM

I have a 92 F2 that is soley track for me and here is what I've done to it:
Progressive rear shock
Traxxion fork springs and 20W fork oil
Daytona Steering Damper
SS Lines (front/rear)
Valter Moto rearsets
-1/+2 sprockets and a 520 chain
Michelin slicks andTyrsox Warmers

Old 10-15-2008, 09:04 PM

hey guys, time to bump this thread to the top and talk F2 track bikes.

I'm thinking about taking my 1994 F2 off the street and going track only next year. I plan on getting the racetech springs and gold valve kit, but do i need the rebound gold valve kit too. if so i might as well spring for the full catridge kit? or is that major overkill? does anyone know what the cost difference would be?

on the rear,I couldmatch the racetech spring to a aftermarket shock, or do the same gold valve treatment to the rear as the front. If i do this will i end up with something better or worse then the other options listed above?

i guess these are my major questions. I really want to get the suspension sorted nice. Other then that i'm just going to doa Kevlar lines, HH pads brake treatment, RK sprockets and chain, and get my carbs rebuilt/dyno tuned. I've already got a K&N air filter and V&H SS2R full exhaust.

your help is greatly apreciated.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM

I also just did a quick turn throttle mod by epoxying a ziptie onto the throttle tube, went ahead and did the F4 rear shock, definetly raises the rear a bit, heavier fork oil, SS lines, also swapped an 05 RR tail on (mostly for looks), I had the clipons below the triples but because of the riser you can't get them to sit flush with the triples so I got a cheap set of aftermarket clipons to help with clearance and throttle cable routing issues, stomp grips, and just getting rid of anything unnecessary to reduce weight

I have a track day the 26th so I'll let you all know how I like the mods, the F4 shock in particular

I would like to do a front end swap, makes more sense to me than shelling out for the springs and emulators, can probably get it done for around the same money, but you get a lighter front rim, better brakes and better forks

these bikes are a ton of fun on the track and you get the extra satisfaction of knowing you just smashed someone while riding a bike 16 years older than their's

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM

No,no no no no.

Braided lines are a must for the front.

Cartridge fork(94 F2,95-98 F3),7-10wt oil.Dampening rod fork (91-93 F2),15 wt oil,but 20wt is fine.Heavier is not always better.If you have a 94 front,springs alone will serve you well,no need for gold valves for trackdays.

If you are using a dr fork,emulators are nice,and cut the spacers down to compensate for them.If you don't you'll have waaaaay too much preload and you'll not have any front end grip.That's not fun.

If you want to go fast,an aftermarket shock is also a must.A stock shock's oil will thin out to quick and you'll do the snakedance everywhere.

No such thing as a gold valve treatment to the rear.

F3 rear rim widens the rear contact patch for a little more corner stability.A 180 tire will put you on your back.Don't do it.

Holla back

Quick Reply: Setting up an F2 for the track - somebody has done it?