CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Riding without mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding without mirrors

Anyone here ride without their mirrors? I've been looking at a lot of ads on craigslist you know just daydreaming of what I want next and I happened to see that a good amount of riders apparently don't ride with their mirrors, I mean I somewhat use mine but I can't imagine riding without them... anyone here think it's a bad idea to ride with or without them?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad idea. People try to justify it saying all they see in them are their own elbows. But that's b.s.

Properly adjusted even the worst ones will give you a glimpse of something behind or to the side of you. That glimpse can save your life if just by making you aware there is something you need to crane your head to look at. Sometimes it's that tiny bit of movement in the mirror that lets you know the soccer mom on her cellphone is starting to drift into your lane

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't dream of riding without them. Even in bikes that you really don't see anything other than your elbows/shoulders from them, I tend to adjust them so that they point slightly outwards so I can peek behind me from the inner curve side. Plus a bike without mirrors seems it's missing something...

Besides, it's illegal in Finland. It is required by the law to at least have the left one, and still the police can advise you to get both.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered Users

I fully agree with the last two posts!

I took mine off once and sure, the bike looked "racier," but then I went for a short ride... you don't miss something until it's gone!!! Even seeing a bit out of them is better than nothing or having to take your eyes off the road in front of you to check behind you to make a lane change or turn.

Sure it gives the bike a more streamlined look without looking like it has antenna. I would take them off for a track day but IMO, if you're out on the roads like that, you're flirting with disaster.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If all you can see is elbows, put mirror extenders on.
Riding the streets without mirrors may well get you killed.
It's the little things you see that keep you alive, and any advantage you can gain over the "soccer Moms" is worth its weight in gold.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

How else are you going to check to see if there is an officer of the law back in the pack at a stop light? Hmmmmmmm?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My second bike didn't come with mirrors. I didn't know better and rode a solid 6 months or so and just got used to it. The bike after that had mirrors and I haven't "looked back" since. Pun intended.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
How else are you going to check to see if there is an officer of the law back in the pack at a stop light? Hmmmmmmm?
Ditto. No better way to get one to follow you around all day than pulling the "meer cat" pop up and look around at a red light. Make eye contact with a L.E.O. there and he knows you're checking if the coast is clear.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
AH good one! lol

Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ew never, my buddy told me it was awesome after someone t boned him and broke his mirror off. Rode his r6 for a day, went to iron pony bought his *** a mirror and said nope. Loved it ever since lol

Quick Reply: Riding without mirrors