CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Removing Decals

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Decals

Hey I need some ideas here, I bought a some used side fairings..one of which had the red silver and white factory decals on it. I got the actual vinyl off with a heat gun no problem....but it left the adhesive behind.....I tried aceytone with a razor scraper...some low grit sand paper.......and its just not coming off...i need some help!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Removing Decals

i had the same problem, go to walmart and buy some googone xtreme. comes in a little acetone looking can for about 3 bux.

just squirt it on a rag and start scrubbing. keep it moist, it likes to dryout fast

Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM

sweet thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM

actually i think you would want to use googone not goof off. googone smells like oranges and works great goof off is like acid lol in the fact that it eats things...i would be afraid it would eat your paint. if your gonna use it i would try a small hidden spot first.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Just use Brake Cleaner - Gumout. If you used sand paper already, apparently the paint is a minor issue. Just go to autozone, or kragen or any car auto store, buy a Brake Cleaner Gumout can, about 3.19 - 3.69. Use the spray nozzle that comes with it and apply over the left over adhesive. Let it sit for about 5 secs. Then wipe away. Should solve your problems. The long it sits, the more it eats. So if you just wanna eat the left over adhesive, don't let it sit too long cuz then it will start dullling your paint (eating it).

-Jasper

Old 02-24-2008, 05:11 PM

this pissed me off too when i repainted. googone seemed to do little for me but since i was alredy committed to doing some extensive body work i took a belt sander to the fairings with extreme prejudice. sure enough, it got the job done!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Just use Gumout (Brake Cleaner). You will kick yourself for not using it earlier. Trust.

-Jasper

Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 AM

im not saying use googone, lol

im saying use "googone XTREME!" its a different chemistry then normal googone, that stuff sucks for getting off decal gunk

Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 AM

A little gasoline on a rag should take it right off without damaging your paint.

Disclaimer: Gasoline is flamable... be careful.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM

ok so I went ahead and tried gas.....didnt work. So I went to autozone and looked at googone...all they had was some auto kind thats for taking off bumper stickers and I figured that prolly woulndt be strong enough...so went for the break cleaner...just got done and it works great! DO NOT use this if you are not planning on repainting...took some spots to primer and roughed up the paint pretty bad.....but if your repainting this is by far the fastest and cheapest way to go..I used a small putty knife and a rag...and just soaked it...used pretty much the whole can....its a little hard to get the left over stuff off of the plastic cause it turns into little blobs of adhesive....i found that soaking these and wiping as fast as you can works the best

Quick Reply: Removing Decals