CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Remove chain without breaking old or new?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
He stated two things that some are missing.

A. The new chain is not new. It is used. I wouldn't introduce a new master link to a chain that might already have some stretch in it. Plus why buy the master link when u don't need to?

B. He already has the rear wheel off the bike. Swing arm doesn't require anything special to remove. One bolt on the shock. One bolt on the pivot. Would take 10 extra minutes, tops.
Well my 1K required a special tool to dis mount the swing arm and I haven't played with an older bike in a while so I stand corrected.

As far as taking the swing arm off it just seems silly to go through all that, adding a master link to a used chain to me makes no difference if the chain is used or not.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UalRamper
...As far as taking the swing arm off it just seems silly to go through all that...
Agreed. Its completely unnecessary to remove a swingarm to remove & install chains.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Agreed. Its completely unnecessary to remove a swingarm to remove & install chains.
I have sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, torque wrenches, etc. I do not have a chain breaker, or any other chain related tools, I need to put this new chain on the bike and then it's getting sent away. I don't need nor want chain tools, I just need to know how to get the old one off and put the new one on the easiest way without buying anything extra tools. Unless when I unbolt the swing arm the frame falls apart or it takes a shop to put it back together...

The bike has been sold, the new owner is waiting for me to make it pass inspection so I can send it on it's way. So the more money I spend, the less I get back from it.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaikuMizu
I have sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, torque wrenches, etc. I do not have a chain breaker, or any other chain related tools, I need to put this new chain on the bike and then it's getting sent away. I don't need nor want chain tools, I just need to know how to get the old one off and put the new one on the easiest way without buying anything extra tools. Unless when I unbolt the swing arm the frame falls apart or it takes a shop to put it back together...

The bike has been sold, the new owner is waiting for me to make it pass inspection so I can send it on it's way. So the more money I spend, the less I get back from it.
Good that you know the value of tools. To do the chain removal & install *PROPERLY* as in the way the factory shop manual shows step by step, you need to use the proper tools. You can get a chain tool for as little as $10, & that isn't much of anything compared to what you may encounter if you have to repair or replace swingarm components, as others have already pointed out.

Taking off the swingarm to change out a chain is akin to removing an engine to replace a fan belt.

We're just trying to help you & make it easier for you. But sure, if you don't want the benefit of our experience & really want to save the $10 that much, have at it. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my chain using four special tools: an angle grinder, a ballhead hammer, a flathead screwdriver and a log of wood.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Good that you know the value of tools. To do the chain removal & install *PROPERLY* as in the way the factory shop manual shows step by step, you need to use the proper tools. You can get a chain tool for as little as $10, & that isn't much of anything compared to what you may encounter if you have to repair or replace swingarm components, as others have already pointed out.

Taking off the swingarm to change out a chain is akin to removing an engine to replace a fan belt.

We're just trying to help you & make it easier for you. But sure, if you don't want the benefit of our experience & really want to save the $10 that much, have at it. Good luck.
It's more than $10. I'm going to have to cut up the new chain to install it, where can I get a master link for a factory chain?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 AM

Use a clip link, any bike shop will have them for around 5 bucks

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they hold? At least my chain pack, think it was an RK, clearly said not to use clip link in a sports bike.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Just to confirm, I can remove the chain in one piece and install a new one piece chain if I remove the swing arm, right?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes.

Quick Reply: Remove chain without breaking old or new?