CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Rear tire and chain question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009 | 06:56 AM
|
Default Rear tire and chain question.

I have read on here somewhere that a 170 tire will look all right on the F2 rim, compared to the 160 tire. Is that right?

Also, I would like to get a thicker chain than what I have now, think stock size maybe. What is the thickest I should go?
Just want to have a better chain response for a 200 lbs. guy.

Old 12-22-2009 | 11:36 AM

well i can tell you as far as the tire goes, dont go bigger. especially with the stock f2 wheel. 170 isnt too much bigger but when u go up in size the tire starts to mushroom out and it will give you a smaller contact patch on the road. mine had a 180 on when i bought it and changed it out with the 160. and when i was talking to the guy at the shop he was explaining all of it to me and said that a wider tire wont do anything for u. and with the chain what do you mean by chain response? are you talking about torque off the line? because if so you need to change the sprockets. thats where the response will come from.

Old 12-22-2009 | 02:01 PM
|

For the chain idea, you ride a worn out chain and you can feel it doesn't have the snap of a new chain. Plus the thicker the chain, longer you won't have adjust it after it stretchs.
A friend of mine fitted a GSX1000 chain to his GSX600(there is a very noticible size difference in the chain) and he immediatly noticed a tad more response and Hp(I said a tad) on take off.
I do have to get a new chain for the spring and wanted to get the thickest chain the F2 will take.

Old 12-25-2009 | 01:40 PM

a thicker chain will mean less power because it will be heavier. stock is 530, most people go to 520 for less weight. But this will not make a noticeable difference really you need to change the sprockets if you want more power like he said.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:57 AM
|

Ok, so here is my next question. What is the 530 chain I should go with for just cruising around, to and from work, heavy weekend riding? But not racing.
Motorcycle superstore has quite a few to choose from. Kinda lost.

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:07 AM

What mightymouse said on the 170 tire. You can do it, but it will adversely affect handling.

On the chain, I recomend DID chain with vortex sprockets. They make excellent products. You are getting what you pay for with chains both in reliability and life. Imo, it's worth paying for the peace of mind and greater life of the chain up front than replacing it sooner.

As for the size, I think stock is actually 525 pitch. I can't find the specs on the parts fiche, but I believe 530 was for the bigger bikes. (900cc+)

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
What mightymouse said on the 170 tire. You can do it, but it will adversely affect handling.

On the chain, I recomend DID chain with vortex sprockets. They make excellent products. You are getting what you pay for with chains both in reliability and life. Imo, it's worth paying for the peace of mind and greater life of the chain up front than replacing it sooner.

As for the size, I think stock is actually 525 pitch. I can't find the specs on the parts fiche, but I believe 530 was for the bigger bikes. (900cc+)
As for the tire, I would stay with whatever size stock spec is for the best comfort/handling.

I wouldn't recommend vortex sprockets unless you really want more power because they are aluminum and will wear down much faster.

Old 12-28-2009 | 06:39 PM
|

Is there a recomendation for a steel or chromoly sproket then that will last? There is many variations I found for a DID 530 chain, any certain sizing I should go with?
I will stick with the 160 tire spec for handling purposes.

Old 12-29-2009 | 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by LMP1327
I wouldn't recommend vortex sprockets unless you really want more power because they are aluminum and will wear down much faster.
Well, the front is steel but the rear only comes with aluminum. I didn't realize they only did aluminum drive sprockets. I'll agree with going all steel for general riding. I used to go through aluminum sprockets on my 250r atv like crazy. I can only imagine how bad it is on a street bike. Luckily sidewinder sprockets does the lifetime warranty. Not sure if they do street applications... (edit: looks like they do street, and like I said... lifetime warranty on sprockets... I highly recommend the company as I've had great experience with these on dirtbikes and atvs) sidewindersprockets.com

The main point is, this is not a part you want to skimp on. Fork out the extra $50 or whatever up front. You'll save in the long run.

This happens to be the exact setup I run on my F3:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1032...t---honda.html

Last edited by chuckbear; 12-29-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2009 | 02:17 PM

Dunno if this is your first time you've changed but im also in the same boat as you. Chain, sprokets, cush drive and bearings are all getting replaced. I dont know if you've checked the rubber cush blocks but it might be an idea since the rims coming off anyhow.

I had a super sports tyre on my rear and this is what happened to it with commuting and the odd blast at weekends. You'd think id been doing burnouts but I can assure you this is purely from commuting. I spend 95% of the commute upright. I've decided on a sports touring pirellie angel tyre for the rear as it'll last alot longer (hopefully) and a super sport for the front.

Quick Reply: Rear tire and chain question.