CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Really NEW! and could use help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Really NEW! and could use help

Okay so i just got my first street bike! I got a 1993 f3. Well the title says f3 but only the frame is f3. The motor and fairings are all f2. So its not the best looking bike but its my bike! I was wondering where i may start to look to maybe upgrade the looks? What sort of maintance should i do? The last owner took pretty good care of it but i would like to make sure i do the same! Any advice would be great! Thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent a ton of time getting my 93 f2 working.

I would double check the tank for rust, it shouldn't if the previous owner ran her enough and didn't let it sit.

I would personally change the oil and oil filter just to be safe, its not to expensive and worth it.

Also you might want to look at your air filter, you can get a recharge kit from an auto store for 12 bucks, this will help save your carbs, and if you know the previous owner hadn't cleaned the carbs, you could pull them out and just give them a cleaning to be safe.

As for upgrading you can look into a jet kit, exhaust, rims, paint job, there are plenty of things you can do to make the bike the way you want it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:52 PM

If the title says 1993, it's an F2. They fat fingered it at your DMV. Check your production date, '91 - '94 is F2, '95 - '98 is F3.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 AM

Is cleaning the carbs something i could do or should i get a pro?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:29 PM

well it's going to cost a lot more to take it to a shop. it's not too bad to do so if you do a decent amount of work on your vehicles i'd say do it yourself.

as far as maintenance goes, id change out all the fluids (oil + filter, coolant, brakes) so you start fresh, plugs, air filter, fuel filter. as mentioned above, cleanin out the tank is a good idea too.

for looks, i just did the f4i tail swap which i really like but it requires a lot of work. simple stuff would be tank/gas cap pads, wheels, foot pegs, bar ends. little things can make a big difference if done right

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Sounds good. Next paycheck ill get the stuff to do a fluid change. To clean the tank do i just take it off and run the gas into a gas can and then rinse it with a solution or what?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by fastrax203
If the title says 1993, it's an F2. They fat fingered it at your DMV. Check your production date, '91 - '94 is F2, '95 - '98 is F3.
Motorcycle titles go by the frame... his bike has a F3 frame.

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Sounds good. Next paycheck ill get the stuff to do a fluid change. To clean the tank do i just take it off and run the gas into a gas can and then rinse it with a solution or what?
you could just rinse it with gas to get the majority of the rust out..
or you could clean it with acid.

pull your tank off

take all hardware off of the tank itself (petcock, filler cap)

empty gas tank(obviously)

put filler cap on

Pour 1/4 gallon of muriatic acid(goto a pool store) into the tank and spread it around evenly...
do not shake the tank.
(before you spread the acid around seal your petcock hole off with some rubber or plastic stopper.. you will have to make your own)

let the tank sit for 20-30 minutes right side up(the way it would sit if it were on your bike)

take a flashlight and look into the tank and if you still see rust then dump out and replace with new acid and spread the new stuff around.

do not let the acid sit too long as it could eat through your tank if the rust is bad enough on the inside(something to keep in mind for sure)

empty acid..

fill with water and rince

fill & rinse with isopropyl alcohol(buy it at drugstore)- this will absorb the water you just put in your tank..
water=corrosion.. but also a base to wash away the acid with so don't think you may skip anything.

then mix some 2 stroke oil and gas (1 pint container will do fine) and coat the inside of the tank with that.

put tank on bike...

this will be a bit of a chore...
good luck.

-----

as far as cleaning your carbs go... its very simple.. you SHOULD do this yourself to get to know your bike better in my opinion.
the first time it will take you a good hour.
in time the time it takes should decrease.
i can clean mine very thoroughly very quickly.
THANKFULLY.. someone did a write up on the forums(disserved) so i dont have to explain this to you.. just read his stickied thread.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/carburetor-cleaning-tuning-101-a-96888/ <---"carb cleaning and tuning 101 - Disserved"

many of your answers can be found on google... but still do not hesitate to ask here
good luck with your bike

Last edited by shardoflard; 07-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for the detail. Ill clean it as soon as i can. ill post how it goes after i finish. Thanks again