CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Question about OEM F2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about OEM F2

Found a F2 I am interested in however it seems that these fairings don't match any others I have seen. The guy from what he knows says they are originals?

I was just wondering if anyone had some info on this

I know the bike was slightly laid down ... and that instead of replacing the starter switch they installed a toggle switch (makes me a bit curious any opinons on that also would be much appreciated)

I have talked the price down to around $1700 wondering if thats a fair price as well

1994 Honda CBR F2 600

Thanks

Haps

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I dont think that is an original paint scheme. It's usually easy to tell aftermarket fairings from OEM if you know the difference and see that they have been painted. OE fairings were not painted, they are molded in color and graphics done with stickers. If you find he is lying about that, I'd walk away. Who knows what else he is lying about. Take someone that knows bikes with you...

Is that the going price for that bike, in that shape, in your area? Seems high, but its riding season. Prices are at a premium now.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F2s were not produced in any solid colors, though the original graphics could have been removed and new ones added - if this happened, without them being repainted, you should see some "shapes" that are less sun-faded and weather worn than the rest of the plastic.
I can tell you for sure that the "CBR" graphic on the side panels is a replica of a more modern 600RR and 1000RR logo.
There aren't any pics close enough to look for evidence that they are OEM or aftermarket - the fitment seems to be good, so they could just be OEM fairings that have been re-sprayed, but without closer pics, or removing a panel and looking for a part # imprint, it's impossible to tell for sure.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto JNSR - The fit and finish of the plastics look pretty good - there looks to be signs of overspray on the back side of the fairings on the closeup of the speedo. I would suspect those are OEM fairings, but they appear to have been repainted.

No telling what color the bike was originally - I don't think any 94's had white wheels stock, but , there's a sticker on the frame under the right side tail fairing that would tell you. If you're really interested in researching the OEM color - go here: Honda Paint Codes

The bike looks pretty clean, and for a bike it's age, it's getting rarer to find one that looks that good and is mechanically sound. It still has the rear tire hugger, and even the chain guard, the reflectors on the fork, and rearview mirrors, which are things that usually get ditched by more abusive owners.

If you get it - can you let me know what brand those rearview mirrors are? They look much better to me than OEM, and I'd like to track down a set.

The only thing that kinda catches my eye is the piggyback canister for the rear shock. 94 was the first year with the canister, and those are the correct rearsets for the bike. It appears to be attached with hose clamps to the right rearset, but it should be attached to the rear of that rearset, in the actual true position for that canister.

If it is mechanically sound, doesn't immediately need chain and sprockets, the tires are in the shape he says they are, then I think $1700 is a pretty good deal for what appears to be a good 20/20 bike

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
...If you're really interested in researching the OEM color - go here: Honda Paint Codes
Now that, sir, is a helpful link!

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
...If you get it - can you let me know what brand those rearview mirrors are? They look much better to me than OEM, and I'd like to track down a set...
I was going to note that those mirrors look pretty decent (anything beats stock!!), but of course, their form may be much higher than their function!
Rebel Haps, if you do end up picking up the bike, you'll have to report on whether or not those mirrors provide good visibility, and if they shake or vibrate a lot.
On that note, adrenalinjunky, I'm not sure if you've seen the mirrors that I currently have on my bike but I absolutely LOVE them! Check my build thread if you haven't seen 'em - I do have merchant and part # for them, if they strike your fancy.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks for your replies!

I spoke with him again apparently he bought the bike in febuary and they were the fairings that came on the bike when be bought it. It has apparently been laid down at a low speed and had been repaired. He said he was told it was mostly cosmetic except for the kill switch / start switch was damaged and he replaced it with a toggle switch he had instead of paying for the dealership to replace it ... it passed state inspection and he has had 0 trouble with it for over 1000 miles ... im looking at it saturday and I will let you all know thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM

$1700 is not a BAD price, however, to a guy that might be needing money, $1500 looks almost the same, if you get my drift ...if I were you, I would offer him $1500, and see what happens.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Just found out the vehicle has a rebuilt title ... is that a point for walking away?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Haps
Just found out the vehicle has a rebuilt title ... is that a point for walking away?
Not necessarily. However, it brings it under more scrutiny. I would be v-e-r-y sure of what was damaged & how it was repaired. To this, if you don't have the expertise to do this on your own, you need to ask the seller to meet you at the local Honda dealership for a *pre-purchase inspection*. You'll pay for it (about $85-100) but you'll find out exactly what the bike needs & doesn't need. That's pretty cheap insurance to make a more fully informed decision. Otherwise, you're taking the seller's word for everything.

One thing is for sure... A rebuilt/salvage title does affect value. Doesn't mean its a bad bike, b/c often times just fairing damage can cause a title reclassification...but you need to know for sure the exact situation.

Personally, I would get rid of the toggle-switch & replace w/ the proper factory kill/start switch...regardless of state inspection.

Good luck w/ your decision.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM

thanks for all the help everyone ... I am going to walk away I feel that if this was just a fairing problem the seller would have disclosed the title information upfront and not wait until I was about to buy

Quick Reply: Question about OEM F2