CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

PROBLEM STARTING BIKE OR KEEPING RUNNING W COLD ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM STARTING BIKE OR KEEPING RUNNING W COLD ENGINE

Ok so heres my problem, i start my bike witht he choke..when i turn the choke off the bike likes to die...so i run the choke a bit longer usually and then use the trottle to keep the rpms up....but all weekend i couldnt get it to start...finally last night i started it and had it runnin...rode about 5-7 miles and came home...rode great, no probs...this mornin i went to start it b4 work and it started fine...i turned the choke of and it wanted to die so i used the throttle to keep it up...after about 2 min i put my gloves on and it died...then i couldnt get it to run again, i think it was flooded...anyone have any suggestions...its been doing this to me for about 2 weeks...pisses me off [:@]cuz i wanna ride b4 it gets too cold...could it be the carbs? plugs? timing? PLEASE HELP!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Default RE: PROBLEM STARTING BIKE OR KEEPING RUNNING W COLD ENGINE

mine did this when purchased, and I had to get my carbs synched, and cleaned. Now she runs like a charm. Also spark plugs maybe?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 AM

About how much is a carb sync?? ballpark #?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think syncing carbs will fix this problem. Sounds like your idle jets are clogged and need to be cleaned out (actually all jets should be cleaned). Carb sync should be done afterwards, but it's primarily to get the engine to run smoother.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM

ok, can i do this easily myself or should i take it in, if so how much should this run me?? also i am putting in new iridium ngks and k&n filter this week, think this should help? if not it needs it anyways

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM

Can you do it yourself? Truthfully, that really depends on you. Your willingness to take on a project and desire to learn. Took me 3 tries to get right.

There's a good write up about cleaning the carbs in the General Tech section with a lot of photos. The one thing that didn't cover was cleaning out the jets and the little channels within carbs. That you just use a small wire (a single strand from a wire brush will do). EVERY channel should be free and clear of obstruction.

You will need the bike synced and idle screws adjusted afterwards. Up to you whether you have someone do it, or you buy/borrow/make the tools to do it yourself.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 PM

CARBS! get a fuel filter and check ur tank for rust also so you dont have to do it again later

Old 10-01-2008, 04:17 PM

THERE IS NO RUST IN THE TANK...CLEAN.....AND ABOUT HTE FUEL FILTER...DO U MEAN GRAB UP AN INLINE FILTER AND PUT IT IN THERE CUZ THERE ISNT ONE STOCK RIGHT? JUST THE SCREEN IN THE TANK....OR AM I WRONG HERE

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Fuel filter isn't going to keep the gas for going stale and gelling up, a common cause of carbs clogging up. Gas treatment is needed if the bike is going to be sitting awhile.

Some people say to not rely on the screen in the tank and put a filter on. That may be a good precaution, but i don't have one on my bike.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 PM

a good inline fuel filter will keep rust particles out of your carbs though; which is the sole reason why i couldn't keep my bike running. (and i'm refering to adding one inline to your carbs after the petcock, not the tube screen inside the tank.) however, you said you don't have any rust in your tank so i dunno.

Quick Reply: PROBLEM STARTING BIKE OR KEEPING RUNNING W COLD ENGINE