CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

possibly Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly Tranny problem

The other day when i was riding i came to a stop and then proceed to take off. While accelerating through every gear around 3k rpm there was a clunking noise. If this the tranny or something different. I wanted to get some advise before i start to pull things apart (If i dare).

Old 05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Default RE: possibly Tranny problem

It only happens while your accelerating? The only time I hear anything remotely close like that on mine is when I actually shift and its going into gear.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Well mine makes the noise like the clunk when going into gear also. but it the other noise that i am worried about.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if it was something as simple as chain adjustment or needing a new chain. Otherwise, try and give some more details, the people that hang around the F2 forum know this bike inside and out, we'll get to the bottom of it if you give enough information.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM

Well i dont know how much more info there is? I dont see how my chain would make that noise. Also when i am going down the road and pull in the clutch i hear like a rubbing noise. Kinda like a warped brake rotor but coming from the front sprocket area, dont know if that has anything to do with this other noise or not. The idiot that i bought the bike from mix matched chain and sprockets. The sprockets being 520 and the chain being 530. Thats probably the most info i have. thanks for te advise though.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Wonder if it's possible thatr the clutch was slipping a little and at 3k rpms that the clutch engaged fully?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM

You've already fixed the chain right? A 530 chain riding on 520 sprockets could very well be the problem. If you still have 520 sprockets on there they are more than likely a +1/-2 set. Mine was running at 7800 RPM at 75 with one of those (and about 30MPG). I switched back to stock sprockets and It's now running about 6500 at 75 MPH and getting better than 40 MPG. My old set was thrashed and it made a hell of a racket going down the road and it was 520 WITH 520 sprockets.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:51 AM

Well i dont know because i still think that it has something to do with the tranny b/c today i took the left fairings off and the sprocket cover and took it for a ride. The chain and sprockets are not the ones making the noise. But today i noticed that i could shift in into nuteral inbetween all the gears. I dont think that i am supose to be able to do that. But the nuteral light is not on so i think something is really screwed up inside there. No havent fixed the chain yet.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Well i just had it sittin there idleing and shifting through the gears and it wouldnt go into any gears unless i shifted up and then let out the a little. So i think that it mayebe the clutch is wore or something.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 AM

Ok, it sounds more like a clutch issue at this point, although the clutch is actually on the right side of the bike, opposite of the front sprocket. Does it shift pretty well otherwise, aside from the noise? If it's truly slipping into a neutral state between each gear then probably whats going on is the shift forks are bent inside the transmission. I really wouldn't think every one of them could be damaged like that though, typically its just the shift fork for 1st and 2nd gear that gets a little bent from wheelies in those gears, and that causes the bike to slip into neutral making that 1-2 shift.
Try taking the chain off and just see how it shifts without any load on the front sprocket. My guess is there's something internal with this transmission that is damaged, most likely a shift fork or two.

Quick Reply: possibly Tranny problem