CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Pilot road 3 tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by super60daytona
Had been running BT-016's
Well there's your problem!

BT-016's are probably the worst tire I've ridden yet. Can't recommend them to anyone for anything.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BT-016 is Bridgestone right? Those are like the OEM factory tires...hard as hell and take forever to warm... correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
BT-016 is Bridgestone right? Those are like the OEM factory tires...hard as hell and take forever to warm... correct me if I'm wrong?
Those are the BT-015, which was an OEM tire included with a lot of bikes. The BT-016 is nearly identical. They tracked funny, felt numb for surface feel, they took forever to heat up, and wore excessively.

I'd rate Shinko's over those tires any day of the week.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Yeah...I hear the Shinko 009 is very sweet from many riders...at the right price. Material tech is make great strides since the 90's when I first started riding...having a great pair definitely makes a big difference on the road & your confidence. Confidence is everything...I love those PR3s but of course a bit $$$....I'm like most here...my decision on WTB will be affected base on price too....Michelin has great rep...cars & Moto

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Those are the BT-015, which was an OEM tire included with a lot of bikes. The BT-016 is nearly identical. They tracked funny, felt numb for surface feel, they took forever to heat up, and wore excessively.

I'd rate Shinko's over those tires any day of the week.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Their race tires rep is a bit lack luster, but MAN do their pilot powers 2ct's rock. I'll be rocking those for sure on my next street bike. My current bike is track only...

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Been about 800 miles now on the tires and they show almost no sign of wear at all. They corner way better than the original pilot roads too. Planned to ride them in rain to see how they handled, but no rain came the three days I was ready for it.

(now if I can just figure out why my mileage dropped from 45 to 40 after a carb cleaning...)

Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Wow...bike for track only? How you handle the down time??? gotta get something for streets...well of course track Vs street is totally category, but street has it ups too...I like to ride the coast with views and wind hitting my face...it's once a week...yeah the Michelin PR3 will be on my Christmas wish list...

Their race tires rep is a bit lack luster, but MAN do their pilot powers 2ct's rock. I'll be rocking those for sure on my next street bike. My current bike is track only...

Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Wow...bike for track only? How you handle the down time??? gotta get something for streets...well of course track Vs street is totally category, but street has it ups too...I like to ride the coast with views and wind hitting my face...it's once a week...yeah the Michelin PR3 will be on my Christmas wish list...
It's pretty simple. At PIR (Portland International Raceway) I take my bike to 172mph and then brake to jesus back down to 80, dragging knee through every turn following and hitting 140 again on the back straight again.

Once you get used to that, there's nothing on the street for fun. When I -start- to have fun on the street, I'm going 30 to 40 over, which is a go straight to jail ticket, or die instantly if a deer or car or bicyclist pops out around a blind turn (most of our wooded turns containing all of these risks).

Pretty much the street has nothing left to offer me in the way of fun without introducing far too great of life threatening injuries.

I get my "downtime" kicks out of motocross and dirtbiking. There's another place where I can go out and have as much fun as I want and not worry about cops, bad drivers, or any of the above.

I've got a VFR500 I'm building up for a fart around town and mellow(ish) back road rides.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 AM

Well there's your problem!

BT-016's are probably the worst tire I've ridden yet. Can't recommend them to anyone for anything.
After switching to the PR3's I would never recomend the BT-016 to a street rider. Never tracked the bike, but do push pretty hard on some back roads, so I would not know how they track and couldn't offer any opinion on them at the track.

Also, the mercury around here is around 32^F and the PR3's do not take long to get warm enough to feel like I can lean in a corner, jam on the brakes, do a wheelie...... The engine takes longer then the tires to warm up.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
I put a set on my bike 300 miles ago and I have to say so far that I love these things. Since I use my bike primarily as a commuter, the set I last put on my bike was the original pilot roads. The new road 3s IMHO are balanced better (originals had a vibration at 75 and above, even after balancing) and they corner far better than the original pilot roads. As an example, with the original pilot road tires I would feel comfortable doing 55 on an off ramp at work. Now I'm easily doing 65. I also found myself going 105 down the highway the other day and not even a shake or vibration. Maybe its the 2CT technology, or maybe it's just a better set. Either way if these things last the 12,000+ miles the original pilot roads got, I'm going to be very happy. Price was $130 for the front plus $160 for the rear off eBay, including shipping. Mount and balance at the shop was $40 for the pair and it included old tire disposal.

i have a brand new pilot power on the rear of my F2 and hove about 500 miles in it and i LOVE this tire and was definatly a great decision and over the winter i am bnuying a matching front tire for the bike also.. and it does handle 100% better then other tires i have had even better then dunlops.. and has a speed rating up to 168mph on rear tire..

Quick Reply: Pilot road 3 tires