CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Pilot road 3 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot road 3 tires

I put a set on my bike 300 miles ago and I have to say so far that I love these things. Since I use my bike primarily as a commuter, the set I last put on my bike was the original pilot roads. The new road 3s IMHO are balanced better (originals had a vibration at 75 and above, even after balancing) and they corner far better than the original pilot roads. As an example, with the original pilot road tires I would feel comfortable doing 55 on an off ramp at work. Now I'm easily doing 65. I also found myself going 105 down the highway the other day and not even a shake or vibration. Maybe its the 2CT technology, or maybe it's just a better set. Either way if these things last the 12,000+ miles the original pilot roads got, I'm going to be very happy. Price was $130 for the front plus $160 for the rear off eBay, including shipping. Mount and balance at the shop was $40 for the pair and it included old tire disposal.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^what size is your rear?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$40 for mount & balance and disposal of old tire....that's a great bargain bro...as for the tires...I'm pretty technology will improve one generation to another, it's great that you chosen a quality pair...I'm 100% behind in investing in quality tires...these are actual parts that actually touches to road..

Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Hah, tire balancing has nothing to do with the carcass, unless you break the belt or something to that affect.

The pilot road 3's are actually the goto wet weather DOT race tire for Michellin sponsored OMRRA racers apparently, since they' sipped and apparently deliver the best bang for the buck, and do decent as well if the track starts to dry out in the same lap!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM

The front is stock 120/60/17 and the rear is the stock 160/60/17.

estate, yeah, I was surprised at how cheap it was for the pair. In fairness I pull them off the bike, take the wheels up to the shop in my truck and let them do it. Took then 20 minutes or less and they did it while I waited. It was $14 a tire plus fees and tax. State 8 cycles in the Cleveland area.

Jesse, the front that vibrates I picked up off eBay, so mabe something had happened to it. I nly know it was balanced and had the weights on it but for some reason it sucked on the highway. The new tire is just plain awesome for what I am doing. Cruising at 85+ is easy.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
Jesse, the front that vibrates I picked up off eBay, so mabe something had happened to it. I nly know it was balanced and had the weights on it but for some reason it sucked on the highway. The new tire is just plain awesome for what I am doing. Cruising at 85+ is easy.
Next time this happens, take the wheel to somebody to check if it's really balanced, specifically the person who balanced the wheel so they can own up to it if they screwed up. Also wheel weights DO fall off. I took a walk around a track I was riding about a month ago, and I kicked no less than 40 wheel weights off the track while walking around!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cleveland?? nice im toledo

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Next time this happens, take the wheel to somebody to check if it's really balanced, specifically the person who balanced the wheel so they can own up to it if they screwed up. Also wheel weights DO fall off. I took a walk around a track I was riding about a month ago, and I kicked no less than 40 wheel weights off the track while walking around!
That's why we ALWAYS put a strip of duct tape over them.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I had the same vibration after fitting PR2's, took it back and the balance was fine, so changed the front wheel bearings and vibration disappeared.

But yeah I’m impressed with the pilot roads as well, mainly because they last about twice as long and still handle ok. Definitely be buying the PR3's next set.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
I put a set on my bike 300 miles ago and I have to say so far that I love these things. Since I use my bike primarily as a commuter, the set I last put on my bike was the original pilot roads. The new road 3s IMHO are balanced better (originals had a vibration at 75 and above, even after balancing) and they corner far better than the original pilot roads. As an example, with the original pilot road tires I would feel comfortable doing 55 on an off ramp at work. Now I'm easily doing 65. I also found myself going 105 down the highway the other day and not even a shake or vibration. Maybe its the 2CT technology, or maybe it's just a better set. Either way if these things last the 12,000+ miles the original pilot roads got, I'm going to be very happy. Price was $130 for the front plus $160 for the rear off eBay, including shipping. Mount and balance at the shop was $40 for the pair and it included old tire disposal.
+1

I have just under 1,000 miles oon my PR3's and LOVE them. Had been running BT-016's. I feel for my riding the PR3's corner better, switch from side to side better, and give better feedback.... all with MUCH better wear. After almost 1,000 miles, i still see n osign of a flat spot down the center of the tire (on the BT-016's it was very apparent by this point). Have taken several rides in light rain and a few in torrential downpours and the wet traction is confidence inspiring. I use my bike as a comuter and occasionaly punish it on a back road...

Quick Reply: Pilot road 3 tires