CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Pilot jets

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot jets

This could be verification of the importance of pilot jets or a story of thinking ya done the job right when ya didn't.

I'm out riding with a group and after we stopped for lunch we set out for the final leg from Pescadero to LaHonda. I'm riding tail and everyone starts off and my bike suddenly runs like crap. I'm changing the fuel tap from reserve to main, trying choke / no choke. Everyone is clearing off. Finally it starts to run half heartedly, but I can't rev over 5000. Fortunately I get their attention and I get the lead to limp back over the hill.

The bike runs okay from 3000 to 5000 but no power. I make it home and start troubleshooting. Pull tank, check hoses and vac lines. They're okay. Check diaphragm, holds vac, its okay. Drain gas from tank run through filter cone, no debris, its okay. Check coils, in spec. Pull plugs, they look a little lean but okay. Gotta check the carbs and needles as I changed the needles from my original jet kit as they showed signs of wear a while ago.

Pull carbs expecting to find crud in the bowls as everything else is checking out "okay". Pull first float bowl off and Hey! wheres my main jet?. Oh its in the bottom of the bowl. Pull the rest of the bowls. Three out of four main jets are loose in the bowls. The fourth is loose. Gee, guess who didn't tighten his jets down the last time he re-jetted?

Amazing that it ran at all, but it explains the lack of revs right at 5500 to 6000 when the mains kick in. Gotta laugh. This time the jets are tight and triple checked. Runs awesome. Just when you think you're getting pretty good, ego check time.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just another example of check check and re-check, im a DREADING rebuilding my bike, i pulled it apart pretty quickly and im finding bolts and screws on the garage floor and already thinking to myself, ' I have no idea what this is off?' should be interesting whne im flying down the road at, the legal limit, and the tank flips off or something! lol.

Glad you figured it out bro.