CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Picture - 'cause it happened. Finally! LOL (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/picture-cause-happened-finally-lol-118609/)

reydelaplaya 11-21-2010 05:39 PM

Well, it's the end of the weekend, still not running, but I'm starting to be ok with that. Considering I've found some safety problems in other areas, I'm now kinda glad I can't get it started yet - most notably, the rear brakes/cylinder. Inside the cylinder was dried crystalized brake fluid and the plunger that connects to the pedal was all rusty, but eBay's got a few good looking whole sets for around $20. At least the caliper's still nice, though.

I guess while I'm at it I'm gonna replace both f/r brake lines and maybe rebuild the calipers so I know ive got good stopping power.

Other things on my list for Santa:

Complete airbox - or at least the two lower portions
Battery box
New windscreen
Little rear fender that goes on the swingarm
Complete set of bolts that hold the fairings
Enough metal polish to get those wheels back to the mirror finish they were

So from what I've seen, I think it's best now not to rush into getting it back on the road, but better just take it apart in manageable sections, get it really cleaned up, check all of the components for roadworthiness, and have a nice dependable *safe* running moto by Januaryish.

I can be patient, I hope! LOL

Hope everyone's getting some last minute good weather before wintertime settles in.
Ride safely ;)

reydelaplaya 11-28-2010 03:55 PM

Well, Santa's MasterCard is bringing me (sometime later this week), a rear brake cylinder and a complete airbox. So for the moment, I'm just cleaning and polishing. A polishing wheel really shines up those wheels WAY better than when I've done it by hand in the past - faster, too. It still hasn't actually started, but once I get my parts installed, it's off to my friend's mechanic for that. Was hoping to get all this done so I'd have something to drive before I had to replace the tranny in the Jeep, but no such luck, as the Jeep is off to the shop tomorrow. Looks like I'll have plenty of time stuck at the house for the next few days to finish up what I can do with the moto.

Can't wait to finally get this little rocket back on the road where it belongs - and with these mountain roads where I live now... it's gonna be fun! I'm gonna have to watch out for these horses and iguanas though - last thing I need is to come around a blind corner and get my helmet stuck in a horse's a$$! LOL

Take care, folks... I'll update with new fotos once it's all reassembled later this week.

squale147 12-16-2010 08:55 AM

whats new???

reydelaplaya 12-21-2010 01:20 PM

Sorry to say, but at this point, nothing's really new. A whole lot of non-moto drama has gone on in the last few weeks, but it looks like it's all over with now. My neighbor's brother has an F2 and is also a mechanic, and will be visiting him in a couple days. Joito, my neighbor, figures a case of beer ought to get it running again when his brother visits. LOL So for the moment, it's clean, shiny, rusty spots fixed & repainted to match, slightly disassembled under a cover, and waiting for Joito's brother.

Hope everyone's having a great holiday!

- rey

DagonRais 12-22-2010 11:09 AM

Well at least you have a plan. :D

damuho 12-27-2010 01:57 AM

Is the choke working properly?

I bought a project F2 which has not been used since 2006 and I noticed the choke lever could not be fully on. There is too much binding from the cable and I did not pull hard enough on the choke lever because it feels like it might break from too much force. After I cleaned the carbs, I cleaned the choke linkage as well. After I put everything back together, the choke lever could easily be put in full position and the bike started like it never had any problem in the first place.

reydelaplaya 12-31-2010 12:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@damuho - good question, thought of that, too. Since it was a little stiff to move, I used the trick I learned from my bicycle buddies about using a little baggie of oil secured around one end of the cable, then holding it up higher than the rest to have it seep down inside and lubricate the whole length of it. It worked before but was tight, now it works much more smoothly, but unfortunately, that ain't it. But thanks for the tip, I appreciate it!

Since I've done just about all I can until my neighbor's brother gets here tomorrow night, I decided to take the day and do something completely motorcycle unrelated. Since I think most of you live in colder climates (and from what I hear, have some snow to contend with), I have gone to the beach, and send you a little warmth and sunshine from the west coast of Puerto Rico.

Happy New Year to all of you!
Y Feliz Año Nuevo a mi gente, también!
Attachment 51521
Attachment 51522