CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Picture - 'cause it happened. Finally! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Picture - 'cause it happened. Finally! LOL

Hey all! Been even more of a long time... LOL Hope everyone has been having a safe and fun riding season.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Finally managed to get my F2 from my friend's house in San Juan. It's been parked there for over a year since I moved to the west side of the Island, and wasn't able to transport it in/with my Cherokee. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it sooner for lack of $$, etc. So it's been sitting, patiently, under a cover (but outside), waiting for my return... which happened today. It's officially at my house on the west side, over 100 miles from where it woke up this morning. Ford E-350 cargo rental, blah blah blah...

Point is, it's finally at my new home. Best part is, that it's showing signs of life - as it's been on the charger for the last couple of hours and is actually cranking the engine over. Hasn't actually started yet, but it's trying, which is more than I expected.

Gotta go for now, but I'll update tomorrow...

Attached Thumbnails Picture - 'cause it happened. Finally! LOL-img_0574.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM

so by far one of the best looking early 90's bikes ive seen !

Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Holy crap man. Thumbs up for the decals and paint job!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Thank you for the compliments, guys, but beneath that shiny red cloud, there's a rusty lining.

Not sure even where to begin... Frame's got some surface rust in spots, corrosion on the aluminum, and we won't even talk about inside the tank.

I never anticipated that it would take so long to get it, so I (stupidly, I admit) never prepped it for a long sit.

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I'm not sure I have the skills required to completely disassemble it, and not have a push-mower when I put it back together.

I guess the first step is gonna be to clean the cafe-con-leche that used to be gasoline out that tank. Then get the rust out. Get some fresh gas in it and see if it even starts.

Definately have my hands full with this project.

Updates to come...

Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Not so bad after all. Inside the tank was actually ok; flashlight gave me a better look. The corrosion on the aluminum was just powder that wiped off. Still some rust on the frame though. But after a few beers and some digging around under the fairings, looks lke less of a project than before.

Cleaned out the tank, and got some fresh gas in it, still doesn't start, but I think that's just the petcock not feeding gas to the engine. I'm cool with that. We'll see what happens from here.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 PM

May be a small carb issue. Maybe try running some seafoam through the engine and see if that works

Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Congratulations on getting it home

Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Cleaned out the petcock after reading this post:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/i-think-my-petcock-bad-little-help-please-60714/

Which was good because it was all nasty inside, and the vacuum valve was stuck shut, so now I have gas getting to the carbs.

At least none of that nasty gas ever made it to the engine. I'll count that as a plus.

But now I have gas dripping from the four downward pointing nipples on the bottom of each of the carbs. Should those have hoses attached to them? I looked in my manual, but it didn't have a clear foto of how it should look assembled, so I can't tell.

The carbs were rebuilt springtime of 2009, along with a bunch of other stuff, like a tune up, etc. Unless sitting for a year without being used made them go bad, they should be in good shape. I'm hesitant to pull them out before I find out what would be causing the gas to be leaking from those nipples(for lack of the correct technical term LOL).

Any ideas\input would be appreciated, please let me know.

Thanks

- rey

Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Dripping gas is comming out of the carb overflow because your float and float valves are not shutting off the gas flow. The float valves have rubber tips that can get grooved from just sitting around empty. I had to replace mine. I also replaced the plastic, non-adjustable floats as they had bent too. The needle and float don't like to sit around. They need gas to help support the floats and reduce the pressure on the rubber tips.
Good luck

Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But now I have gas dripping from the four downward pointing nipples on the bottom of each of the carbs. Should those have hoses attached to them? I looked in my manual, but it didn't have a clear foto of how it should look assembled, so I can't tell.
It sound like you have the bowl drains open. Is it possible that you left them open when you drained them over a yr ago?
If that's the case then you just need to close the drain screws.

Quick Reply: Picture - 'cause it happened. Finally! LOL