CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pads and rotors

My braking force seems to be diminishing the more i ride the bike, and I get kind of a whirring sound when the front wheel moves (maybe sticking or worn out pads?).

If it isn't going to break the bank, I was going to replace the rotors and pads because the last 2 owners didn't touch the braking system at all and the rotors have a mirror finish to them.

What replacement pads/rotors are recommended for normal street use (to and from work/school, no track days in my future)?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 PM

I had some toasted EBC stuff, and I'm pretty sure "toasted EBC" > "brand new off-brand crappily sintered" which is what I have now.

There was another thread where someone with more experience said EBC H's on stock rotors are fantastic, and he rode the crap out of his bike and didn't feel the need for more.

There are some swaps/big brake kits, but I donno what they come off of or who makes them. Someone else chime in?

If you're keeping stock calipers, it would of course be a sin not to check the sliders and check smooth piston action while you had the bike apart for service, just to make sure things aren't sticking and causing that noise. Unevenly worn pads are a good clue as well. Mine were worn at an angle, and it gave me a raging clue that my lower rubbery slide bushing was sticking/torn.

Last edited by JimmyHoffa; 09-22-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a whirring or scrapping sound (soft) on all disc brakes, its normal as the disc (never 100% flat surface) goes past the pads.
1st check to see if you do need new pads, easy to do, if they are into or near their wear limits, then go for it. What you describe though, sounds to me like your brake lines are in need of (at the very least) a good bleed & change of fluid.
Doing your brakes is an easy(ish) straight forward job, as long as your thorough & keep it all clean.
As for EBC pads, well I've used them since forever & have them on my F3 now & have never had any worries with them. You just have to pick the right type of pads to your riding style, a lot of guys will go for a harder compound, but the pads really need to be worked to get & keep the best of them. I have not used the EBC calipers or discs though.
Unless your discs are totally RS, then replacing pads & brake fluid would be the way to go 1st off before forking out money that you may not need to spend yet.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 AM

I think I have a sticky caliper. My plan of action is to pull everything off and inspect the pads, do a brake bleed, check piston for sticking.

My only question is about the rotors now. They are heavily glazed over. Should I just re-rough them up, buy new? Is it Possible to turn them like on a car?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM

the deal is if u buy new rotors ur staring at atleat 250$ a piece and im not sure u can turn bike rotors and roughing them up im pretty sure isnt gonna work.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM

wow bad news today, I pretty much lost my front brake on the highway, the lever clicks almost all the way back to the bar before anything even happens.

A bleed and line check is in order

Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

I found this one ebay, should i try it LOL?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM

i dont know bud things like that are kinda sketchy if ya ask me

Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by duececivic
i dont know bud things like that are kinda sketchy if ya ask me
LOL. this is right up my alley then.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM

On the rotors:
Check them for runout and thickness with a micrometer. If they are in spec, use some emery cloth and sand in a constant direction to remove the glaze.

If out of spec (which is stamped on the inside of the rotor), replace

Quick Reply: pads and rotors