CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Well ever since I learned about shifting in higher rpm's I've realized my bike gets to the H faster than it used to from what I noticed. Or is it that maybe I'm shifting too high in a certain gear? Also if I'm idle for too long the temperature meter rises higher and higher every time I'm at a red light lol, is it a lack of coolant? I checked and it's pretty low... I hope that's all it is, anyone differ and think it might be something else? Please let me know.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with the basics.

If it's been a while (or never)...flush the system and change the coolant.
While it's drained, inspect/replace the thermostat,
same with the pressure cap.

All of this is cheap and really not much in the way of labor.
It probably needed doing, anyway. So it's not wasted cost/time.

When that's all done, then observe your temps.
Most bikes are fine into the 210f-218f range.
Water boils at 212f without adding a 5-7# pressure cap,
so exceeding that slightly, at a stop (without air-flow) isn't a big concern.

If you aren't doing sustained riding, on the edge of red-line,
long shifts shouldn't be an issue where temps are concerned.
The engine/coolant systems are designed to operate properly together,
even at high RPM's.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 AM

alright thank you, I'll try that out adding some new coolant. I know it's low if I stare into the tank i have to get at an angle just to see it so yea, and I'm not sure what the pressure cap is. where is that located?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also - staring into the tank isn't a good indication of how much coolant is in the system. that tank is the overflow, and its level will vary based on the engine's temperature.

When the needle gets up to the H - is your cooling fan kicking on? that's another thing to check - make sure that is working properly.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM

I didn't know it had a cooling fan but that's why I'm worried when it get's near the H, but if it does have one then im going to check with my mechanic to make sure it's working properly. Thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can check that the fan itself works by unplugging the fan's thermal switch from the radiator (left side towards the bottom of the Rad.) Take that wire and ground it out - the fan should turn on. If not - check the wiring to the fan, if all checks out, then the fan is bad and needs to be rebuilt/replaced.

If it turns on, then you need to plug it back up, and verify if the fan turns on when the bike is hot (near the H). If not - that thermal switch needs to be replaced.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM

Well maybe I can write all that down and tell my mechanic lol, idk why but I get lost once people start naming places here and there.. I only own a handful of my own tools so that's why I never bother getting down and dirty with my bike. I really want to start getting to know it better!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_Arango
Well maybe I can write all that down and tell my mechanic lol, idk why but I get lost once people start naming places here and there.. I only own a handful of my own tools so that's why I never bother getting down and dirty with my bike. I really want to start getting to know it better!
Here is a great way to start learning. Just have the confidence and hunker-down to try to save money and learn basic mechanics. You will have more pride in riding know you know how to fix the basics. Most of us on this forum started exactly where you are at right now and now can fix the basics to entire rebuilds. I know it is a little intimidating, but have the faith you can easily fix this problem, ask a fellow rider to help you out if you can. We 'ALL' started somewhere like you. Keep us updated or ask more questions on here if you need. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here waiting for you to ask a question or help you out with a problem. Absolutely no one is going to make fun of you for being a newbie with a question. How can I help?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM

Maybe a little bit of making fun?

Quick Reply: Overheating