CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Only Slightly FUBARed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUBARed no more.

I was throwing that idea back and forth..switching good parts from each motor. Do you recommend only OEM rings? Does Hastings make a set? I know they are generally cheaper but have the same quality.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM

well the initial compression test without adding oil to find out if it's the rings are=
160 - 0 - 120 - 50

Now tell me there isn't something seriously wrong with this engine?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM

I put some oil in cylinders 2 and 4 and got some compression. Does that means it's the rings? Oh could someone tell me what that small hole is under each header pipe? When I was putting oil in cylinder 4 some leaked out of that hole.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 AM

Well, the idea is that if you can get the compression to come up by adding oil, then the rings need to be replaced. If you don't get any bump in compression then there's something effed with the piston or something.
Not sure about the hole you are talking about, not near my bike, check the service manual?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 AM

I took the pulse generator cover off to see how the auto tensioner works and when I was cranking the motor I noticed it bouncing up and down. Now is the "piston" supposed to have constant tension or is it supposed to do that bouncy thing?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: elmer

Well, the idea is that if you can get the compression to come up by adding oil, then the rings need to be replaced. If you don't get any bump in compression then there's something effed with the piston or something.
Not sure about the hole you are talking about, not near my bike, check the service manual?
Here's that hole I was talking about..it's right where the head gasket is.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM

I don't know what I did besides check timing(didn't adjust anything since it was spot on), refilled the tensioner with oil but the bike started up after a few tries. There's still crankcase pressure so I left the dipstick off. Could the oil I previously put in for the ring/compression test actually seal it long enough for the bike to run temporarily? p.s. oh I also changed the ignition rotor back to the stock one if that makes a difference. Hershey's right though..it can only go on one way.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM

No, the oil in the cylinders isn't going to get it to run. But I'm guessing since you've got pretty good compression in two cylinders and enough pressure in another to actually get it to run it doesn't surprise me, in spite of the fact you've got zero compression on one cylinder.
I'm sure it can't sound all that good and probably doesn't have any power, but at least you've got something other than a pile of metal!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: elmer

No, the oil in the cylinders isn't going to get it to run. But I'm guessing since you've got pretty good compression in two cylinders and enough pressure in another to actually get it to run it doesn't surprise me, in spite of the fact you've got zero compression on one cylinder.
I'm sure it can't sound all that good and probably doesn't have any power, but at least you've got something other than a pile of metal!

well see..that's the thing. After checking the timing and changing out the rotor I redid the compression test and got 160-180 on all cylinders. I thought maybe there was some residual oil leftover that cause it to give me false readings on cylinders 2 & 4 but when it started up it added even more to my confusion. Here's a short video of me starting it up.

http://s197.photobucket.com/flash/pl...81/startup.flv

Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 PM

I think i'm going in the right direction...the rings might not be bad after all. I was reading a article on blowby and the author mentioned checking the PCV vent hole before considering a overhaul...well I figured it was a possibility that the vent hole could be clogged but was leaning towards rings or valves guides..always ready for the worse..turns out the hole was clogged..BADLY clogged..Now all I have to do is get this thing started again and hope that I didn't blow out and seals while testing and diagnosing it all those times.

Quick Reply: Only Slightly FUBARed