CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Only Slightly FUBARed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only Slightly FUBARed

Well after a 3 week search on craigslist I found a donor motor for my Projekt F2. If you guys aren't caught up on the situation then let me give you a quick run down. Basically I bought a "parts bike" from a guy that claimed he didn't know what was wrong with the motor. .just that "something" was wrong with it. Long story short it ended up being the starter gear and the molding in the case that was thrashed. There was no easy fix for that..actually I think he tried welding it but it didn't hold too well.

Here's the bike before it came into my possession.

Found out the bad news

Starting the strip down. Look at all that RTV sealant. Suuuure he didn't know what was wrong.

Motor is out.

A lot of cussing, scrapes, and sore muscles. I did not have ANY room to work in at all.

Ahhh it's in!

I still have to put on the plastics and all the fluids before I can find out if it was a success. Wish me luuuck.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: FUBARed no more.

If I were you I would have had the new motor apart before I put it in the frame, just to be sure I wasn't wasting time... You've got a complete other motor for parts if anything is worn/damaged in the new one!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 AM

I had that in mind. I just decided to take the opposite route instead. Install, Cross my fingers, and pray the seller is telling the truth. If that doesn't work then I'll just use the old motor as a donor for parts that I might need.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Nice work, good luck to you.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM

blaaa[:@] I guess it might not be as simple as a bolt up and go situation. I tried starting it the other night and there seems to be excessive crankcase pressure. After a starting attempt I can hear air trying to escape, whether through the stator cover or the oil dipstick. When I unscrew the dipstick then it really comes out..just a big "whoosh"! What could this mean? carbon build up on the valves? I should've listened to Hershey's advice.[&o]

Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Check the crankcase breather hose to see if it is plugged, it should be connected to the airbox on the right side.

If that's not the case, you've probably got excessive blow-by and/or badly worn valve guides... it can also rarely be caused by a totally plugged oil filter.

Do a compression check on all cylinders and get back to me... if your numbers are low put a few drops of oil into each cylinder and test again.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 PM

My money is on the blow-by though, that looks like a race bike engine... Rings are probably toast

Old 11-26-2008, 01:09 PM

well..the breather tube you spoke of wasn't connected so I did that but there's still a lot of pressure. I guess I'll have to do a compression/leak down test. Damn it man. If it's the valves/guides then I'll just swap over the head from the old motor but if it's the rings then I might just part this bike out. I don't think I have the patience or mechanical aptitude to do a internal rebuild.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 PM

This motor is EASY to rebuild, don't get frustrated!

How much money have you put into the bike so far?

I'll help you get it going, if you just want it to run the cheapest way possible - use your other head and get some new piston rings... Easy as that.

This is my rebuild thread:
https://cbrforum.com/m_687221/tm.htm

Some good pictures in there to help you along, if you have any questions just ask me.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Bike, Motor, and new battery = about 860. At first I thought it might've been a easy fix since I read about the various electrical problems then after eliminating those I realized it could've been a mechanical problem. It just had to be the damn piece that was part of the casing. I love working on cars and bikes but have the patience of a 3 year old. Everytime I read a rebuild/project thread I'm so amazed at the effort and time people put into something that started off as a naked, wrecked bike...usually a lost cause to most people.

Quick Reply: Only Slightly FUBARed