CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

ok BIIIIIIG problem....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok BIIIIIIG problem....

last night i could not get my bike started....if you've read any of my posts you probably understand that im not some guy with no mechanical aptitude....in fact rather the oposite....here is a list of the things i KNOW IT IS NOT! basically im just looking for any random and totally NOT OBVIOUS reasons it wont kick over....im stumped.....

[ol][*]ive got spark[*]ive got good gas[*]my carbs are clean as a whistle[*]my fuel lines are brand new[*]NOTHING IS CLOGGED-i get runoff on ever part of my fuel system when i disconnect[*]choke functions properly[*]neutral switch and side stand give good reading on my volt meter when i induce current[*]yes my petcock is on[*]yes i put the key in[*]vacum lines are tighter than a prom date.....[/ol]
i am at a loss.....no cracks in the block, good compression....no stuck valves....its not flooding....?~!?!~?!@#?$#$?T?%$YG?WE%^JH?&I?J^ $*K>$*

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Default RE: ok BIIIIIIG problem....

I take it the starter is actually running?

The dumb solution- is the run/off switch on the handlebars either off/not functioning?

When I first got my bike it turned over and everything checked out but it wouldn't start. turns out it only had 3 spark plugs in it when I went to check for flooding. I doubt thats you're issue though.
Might not help if you aren't having a flooding issue, but I was able to get mine running after heating up all the spark plug electrodes with a propane torch so they were clean and white. I visibly had spark but apparently it wasn't strong enough.

Don't know if that was much help but good luck to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[ul][*]When you had the spark plug out, did you notice what the tip looked like? Was it soaking wet with gas?[*]What happens when you crank it, does it try to start; does it stutter and die?[*]When you looked at the carbs, did you actually unscrew the jets and examine them?[*]When you had the carbs off, did you try shooting start fluid into the intake and try starting?[*]Does the same problem occur when the Petcock is on Reserve?[*]Were the carbs recently cleaned or did you replace o-rings on the idle screw? If you just cleaned them, and they were partially clogged before they were cleaned, then the engine might be too rich for starting. Reseat the screws (very gently) and then turn them out 2 1/8 turns (unless you have the CA model). Then try starting. If this works, you will need to finish calibrating the carbs. For this you will need a Tach that measures in 50 RPM increments.[*]No kinks in the fuel line since you set the gas comes out....but did you try loosening the drain plug on the carbs to make sure gas comes out there? If no gas then the carbs aren't getting them.[*]Is the timing off?[*]Have the valve gaps been checked? (supposed to check the valve gaps, then synchronize then set the idle screws in order)[*]Do you have new after market parts on it?[*]Did you reference the Troubleshooting starting problems section of the service manual?
[/ul]
I can assume, since you have a spark that the Starter is engaging the engine. Does it sound strong or weak?
I can also assume that the engine cut off switch is set to Run or On.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: woo545
[ul][*]When you had the spark plug out, did you notice what the tip looked like? Was it soaking wet with gas?[*]What happens when you crank it, does it try to start; does it stutter and die?[*]When you looked at the carbs, did you actually unscrew the jets and examine them?[*]When you had the carbs off, did you try shooting start fluid into the intake and try starting?[*]Does the same problem occur when the Petcock is on Reserve?[*]Were the carbs recently cleaned or did you replace o-rings on the idle screw? If you just cleaned them, and they were partially clogged before they were cleaned, then the engine might be too rich for starting. Reseat the screws (very gently) and then turn them out 2 1/8 turns (unless you have the CA model). Then try starting. If this works, you will need to finish calibrating the carbs. For this you will need a Tach that measures in 50 RPM increments.[*]No kinks in the fuel line since you set the gas comes out....but did you try loosening the drain plug on the carbs to make sure gas comes out there? If no gas then the carbs aren't getting them.[*]Is the timing off?[*]Have the valve gaps been checked? (supposed to check the valve gaps, then synchronize then set the idle screws in order)[*]Do you have new after market parts on it?[*]Did you reference the Troubleshooting starting problems section of the service manual? [/ul]

I can assume, since you have a spark that the Starter is engaging the engine. Does it sound strong or weak?
I can also assume that the engine cut off switch is set to Run or On.
well, in response to this, thanks for your help!, but im thinking none of these are they issue....i've already talked to my friend that owns a bike shop(for like an hour) and were stumped...the motor is basically a beast and never has any problems, fully rebuilt within the last year...its maintained so what i was really asking about is:

has anyone had a weird, off the wall, basically one in a million issue that caused their bike not to start?
all the simple issues that a shade tree mechanic would suggest are taken care of and have already been ruled out as "not it"....

Old 10-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Did you say that it even cranks over? or just doesn't fire up...
RB

Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: FNQuickF2

Did you say that it even cranks over? or just doesn't fire up...
RB
yup yup! cranks over great- ive tried everything reasonable and i'm comming up with nothing?~!? maybe the flux capacitor on my mr.fusion is shot?!@!??

[IMG]local://upfiles/20875/4457720964D14158813A42F803994BA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: thomasintexas

yup yup! cranks over great- ive tried everything reasonable and i'm comming up with nothing?~!? maybe the flux capacitor on my mr.fusion is shot?!@!??

[IMG]local://upfiles/20875/4457720964D14158813A42F803994BA4.jpg[/IMG]
Well, you took my idea!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 PM

I cant offer much help here but i am have the same problem but in only 2 cylinders. Same exact situation. Carbs freshley cleaned they are in sync and idle air adjusted. Spark good, coils checked stator and rectifer checked for the hell of it, good compression. The only thing i checked that is faulty is the R/R and i really dont think it would cause the inner two cylinders to not fire....unless im wrong. I am going to follow this thread REAL close because i see a striking similarity in our issuse. Sorry i cant offer help here.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 PM

well, if your motor is starting and running but only the outside two cylinders this is your problem-you cam shaft is shot to ****. take it to a shop and have it replaced unless you know how to. it should also be accompanied with a good amount of grinding noise and the temp gauge will go through the roof....

Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 PM

I still don't know what you mean by "not starting." To put it simply:

I used to provide computer software support. A common issue goes as follows:

Caller: "Help, my screen is blank."
Thinking to myself: Of course I don't know what the heck that means...I'm on the phone with the person and can't see their screen.
Me: Is the computer turned on?
Caller: Yes
Me: So you see the lights on the computer?
Me: Is the monitor turned on?
Me: When you say the screen is blank can you see the start button in the bottom left hand corner?

So at this point I established that the screen is not blank, at least not the way I would think blank meant. In the end, I might just find out that the person moved the window out of sight or minimized it.

Basically, when you say it won't start, there are many different meanings to this for me. We all need to understand more of what your meaning of "won't start" really is.

SO, please start from the beginning. Be as verbose about it as possible. Prove to us that it has been tripled checked. I write programs for a living. So many times I stare at something and say...this damn thing should work....why doesn't it....so I ask a co-worker to look at it, and boom...right in front of my face. If we are to truly to help you on this, sell us on the idea that the stuff has been done. If you took readings of electrical equipment, what were the readings? If you checked the gaps on the spark plugs what were they? What was the compression? Are you sure the spark plug wires are seated properly now? Did you check the resistance of the spark plug wires...maybe the spark isn't strong enough to ignite the gas when it is cold.

What happens when you turn the key...does the headlight come on?
Does the horn work?
Place the kill switch in run mode.
Is it in neutral?
When you press the starter, what happens? Are there any odd noises? Is their any noise?
Does it sound like it wants to start? Does is spudder?

Is the gas making into the cylinders and if so is it the right mixture?

I know you said you talked to your shop friend....did he actually look at it or did he listen to it on the phone? The fact that your friend owned a shop (for 10 minutes) doesn't mean squat to me.

I know this comes down kind of rude. I'm not trying to be, I have a lot of experience troubleshooting over a phone which is 100 times harder than actually being there. Likewise, doing this in the forum is 100 times harder than doing on the phone. So, I'm not implying you are some sort of idiot or anything. I'm saying, without the knowledge that we need, we are the idiots shooting in the dark. It's that we need more information to give us the confidence that the basicss were covered? I can't be sure I can rule it out. Shops just like any other business, there are experienced and inexperienced people, so the inexperienced will inevitable miss something that and experienced person wouldn't.

AGAIN, check the troubleshooting section of the manual.

These engines are very basic. You have spark and compression. That leaves timing and fuel mixture. Not much else to check after that.

Quick Reply: ok BIIIIIIG problem....