CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

odo, speedo and trip help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odo, speedo and trip help

So ive owned my 92 600f2 for almost a week now and im trying to get some issues resolved. My problem is with the odometer, speedometer and trip. None of them work. The illumination is fine. Tomorow when i get some daylight ill look at the connections and what nots but just wondering if you guys/gals might have a solution that dosnt involve me taking it to a shop. I hate paying other people to fix my things. So if you could lend some info on speedo cable or sensors or whatever it may be, along with location and what to look for, id really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaniLee
So ive owned my 92 600f2 for almost a week now and im trying to get some issues resolved. My problem is with the odometer, speedometer and trip. None of them work. The illumination is fine. Tomorow when i get some daylight ill look at the connections and what nots but just wondering if you guys/gals might have a solution that dosnt involve me taking it to a shop. I hate paying other people to fix my things. So if you could lend some info on speedo cable or sensors or whatever it may be, along with location and what to look for, id really appreciate it.
Your speedo/odo/trip are all cable driven off the front hub. Not electronic except for the lights. Look at your bike, and on the left side of the hub, you should see the cable connected there.

You can check it in a few seconds.

There is one screw holding the cable to the hub - take it out and gently pull the cable out of the hub.

You should see a slot in the end of the cable housing - that's the end of the speedo cable. Look in the hub assembly and make sure there is a corresponding spot/tab that would fit into the end of the cable. Roll the bike and see if the tab in the hub is rotating. While this may not fully test the gear drive in the hub, it is a start. If it does turn for now, next step is to pull the inner cable out of the housing. If it come out in one piece, look at the other end, I forget if it is slotted or square. If square, see if it has rounded off. If not then you'll need to pull the speedo and check the drive where the cable plugs in.

If the cable is in one piece, and engaged everywhere properly, then there a gear drive issue either in the speedo or the hub.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 AM

^^^thank you.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Well, got to lookin at it and there is NO cable. haha. So ill be getting a new cable. I have no idea how long its been missing and im worried that a gear or something might have fallen out of the hub. I see nothing in there but a dark hole. Also, I want to clean it out before i put things back in. Any cleaners i should use or shouldnt use?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Just so happens my front wheel is off the bike for a few days and I have easy access to the hub-drive for the speedo cable. Once I get home tonight, I'll pull mine apart and take a pic or 2 for you so you can compare yours to mine.

*edit* - that internal assembly should be packed with grease for the gears in there, I wouldn't shoot any degreaser/cleaners up in there. At this point, you need to pull the front wheel, take the speedo drive off, open it up, clean the gears off, and repack it with grease. I'll open mine up and include those pics too.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Nevermind - I just looked at your album. You have a problem - your bike has what appears to be a F3 front wheel on it - and the F3 bikes speedo was electronically driven off the engine speed sensor. The F2 doesn't have a speed sensor, and to my knowledge can't have one added. The F3 wheel won't accept the F2 hub drive for the speedo cable, so you've got a bit of a incompatibility issue.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Well hot damn. Explains why my wheel hub looks the way it does. I guess as long as im keeping up with trafik and not passing i should be safe from tickets (i hope)

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM

If it's a big worry get a cheap GPS unit that displays current speed and mount it over the speedo portion of the cluster - use it for MPH guesstimates.

Either that, or you could check out some of the Vapor gauge clusters that are so popular with the streetfighter types. they mount a magnet and sensor on the wheel and fork to read speed, and can still provide you water temp and engine RPM function.

Or - research the F4i digital gauge swap how-to's - but they start getting pretty involved.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM

just curious - your bike is a 92 model, at the top of your fork legs, is there a little slot for a screwdriver, and a bigger rounded part with 2 flat sides?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 PM

yes its a 92. and yes the to the question of the fork legs. its also got cute little directional stickers.

speedo isnt my bigest concern at the moment. But in a month im heading to texas and want at least the trip meeter so i dont over shoot fuel up points and end up pushing the bike. i figure if i start looking for a gas station every 150 miles i should be good. i dont want to wait till i hit reserve to think about a fill up.

Quick Reply: odo, speedo and trip help