CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

noob help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude don't be silly! The bike is worth $900 in parts alone. The aftermarket fairings, provided they haven't been down since they were last replaced, are probably worth $200 alone. Wheels, another $200. Front forks, $99 each without the calipers, which would be an easy $60 each. Rolling titled frame, $200. Carbs, $200 easy. Tires may still be good so they may have value! Rearsets, $100 easy! Seat, $60! Handlebars, $70! Gauges, $70!

This all presumes the tranny is toast, and the engine won't be salvagable. There's also far more parts that can come off of the bike for sure, but they aren't as frequently replace.

So, the bike is worth $1360 if you part the bike out with all the quick to get rid of stuff. $900 isn't anything for the bike on that fact alone!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM

forgot to tell everybody thanks for the opinions....excuse my lack of forum manners...lol...

Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnicola
Dude don't be silly! The bike is worth $900 in parts alone. The aftermarket fairings, provided they haven't been down since they were last replaced, are probably worth $200 alone. Wheels, another $200. Front forks, $99 each without the calipers, which would be an easy $60 each. Rolling titled frame, $200. Carbs, $200 easy. Tires may still be good so they may have value! Rearsets, $100 easy! Seat, $60! Handlebars, $70! Gauges, $70!

This all presumes the tranny is toast, and the engine won't be salvagable. There's also far more parts that can come off of the bike for sure, but they aren't as frequently replace.

So, the bike is worth $1360 if you part the bike out with all the quick to get rid of stuff. $900 isn't anything for the bike on that fact alone!
He said he's looking for his 1st bike. That implies riding (and learning to ride). Flipping and parting out a bike has wholly different criteria.

It will suck the fun out of riding if half your time spent with your new bike is kneeling next to it with a wrench in hand. Carb issues, as I said, are usually nothing more than the annoyances of getting the carbs out and cleaned. Tranny issues are serious, even when starting out small.

And a new rider does not need to learn on anything but a mechanically solid bike. Period.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

I think jnicola is just saying worst case scenario...no offense...I like tinkering n learning so working on it would make it more fun for me...not that I'm wishing someting goes wrong with it but it wouldn't be a big deal...lol...

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.z28
I think jnicola is just saying worst case scenario...no offense...I like tinkering n learning so working on it would make it more fun for me...not that I'm wishing someting goes wrong with it but it wouldn't be a big deal...lol...
Okay, just know what you're getting into. Someone else said it'll be hard for us to change your mind and I'm agreeing with him.

Just a note tho:
My bike's name is Rain. That's because I couldn't take her out for weeks after buying her. The rain kept me from doing basic minor maintenance she needed to run right (spark plugs, oil change, ect). The only time more frustrating has been this winter.

i'm out. Good luck

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM

thanx...I'll let y'all know what comes of it...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mr.z28

Most definitely. Worse case scenario, part it out and run away the richer. Also, let's not forget that it sounds like the dude with the bike is technically savy enough to part it out himself. You go much lower than $900 and it will become worth his time to part the bike out instead of selling it. He'd be stupid to sell it for much less than $900!

You'll really be hard pressed to find something worth learning on for that price. It's also fun to learn how to work on a bike.

What I would DEFINITELY consider before buying the bike, is do you have any friends who are VERY experienced at working on bikes? If you don't, buying this bike and fixing it isn't even an option.

Also, if the guy has a meticulous shop and all that, why isn't he fixing the carb issue himself to increase the sale value of the bike?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM

time n doesn't have the room...or at least that's what he told me...he's getting out of bikes n more into his ford lightning...I'm sure he knows he can get more for it but he'd rather sell it whole n not bother with selling pieces here n there...he mentioned thay he layed his 05 rr down at the track not too long ago so he's proly gonna use the money from the f2 to repair it...just a guess though...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM

hey man, welcome to the forum. im a new rider too since october 09. and let me tell you the best time to buy a bike is now! before the spring rolls around and everyone wants to get out on the open road. i think i know a little bit about bikes now since i almost completely replaced everything on it. i have a 94 cbr f2 that i bought for $1000 with gear last year(check the profile), the only problem was the transmission,the clutch kept engaging even with the clutch pulled in(clutch basket) so don't feel tempted to buy this bad boy there's plenty of bikes out there. i think i got a preety good deal on my ride but it did take some work. i bought another bike for 150 that had damaged forks and swapped the engine. so after a total of 1150 bucks i have a bike with 10k miles on it. take your time and search carefully theres really cheap f2's out there that are in great shape. but yea i wouldn't buy it during the summer either.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:38 AM

got the bike Friday...bought a new battery Saturday...did the carb clean with the help of the sticky Sunday n the result is night and day...no hesitation, no choke...strong through the entire power ban...I think the bike was a good deal...thanx again fellas...

Quick Reply: noob help...