CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

new top end????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new top end????

hi.I went to put exhaust gaskets in my f2 after buying it off some ***** who never had any in there in the first place and found that the holes where the bolts go in are threaded badly. I suppose this is why he did not have gaskets in there.
what do i do now? do i need a new engine? ?do i need a new bike? or do i kick the **** out of the bastard that sold me the bike?
Please help me.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new top end????

Look up "Helicoil"

You basically drill out the holes, re-tap the holes to a larger diameter, then screw in a spring looking device that brings the thread size back down to normal.

It is something I've never personally done, but with Aluminum blocks, it's a pretty common practice. (Many motors have them from new)

Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM

+1 on the HeliCoil.

You used to be able to buy a kit from places that would contain everything you needed for at least what you need it for at a cost of about $20.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanks for that i will give that a go.
the main one that is gonna give me a problem is the one on the far right it is badly broken because this one sticks out alot.
will i need a mechanic to do it or do you think i will be able to fix it myself?
Thanks alot for helping me.cheers

Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 PM

What do you mean by "sticks out a lot"? if you mean the bolt isn't threading in all the way, it's OK. What the Heli Coil does is take a hole that was F'd up and give it all new threads. You drill out the old threads, then install the new thread insert.

OR

If the bolts look like they were cross threaded or just junky looking, you may be able to just buy a tap and run the tap into the holes. that would be the ideal method to try first if it looks like the threads were just messed up a little. The tap will clean and straighten the threads and make them look like new. (it is possible if you do use a tap that the threads are too far gone and you would need the inserts)

Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 PM

A Helicoil will actually be stronger than the original thread, since it's hardened steel, instead of aluminum.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^True, and it spreads the load over a larger area of the block... - As a tidbit, the early Cadillac NorthStars (93-99) had lots of problems with their heads working their way loose with time and causing the gaskets to leak - nice $3000 fix that could have been solved with factory helicoils.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM

Just rang the local bike shop to see how much they will charge just to do this job and they said £100. Is this a good deal?or shall i have a go my self?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd try alternatives to a bike shop, such as a shop specializing in machining.

Mechanics aren't always good at this type of thing, whereas a machine shop will have much more experience.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 PM

OR

If the bolts look like they were cross threaded or just junky looking, you may be able to just buy a tap and run the tap into the holes. that would be the ideal method to try first if it looks like the threads were just messed up a little. The tap will clean and straighten the threads and make them look like new. (it is possible if you do use a tap that the threads are too far gone and you would need the inserts)
+1 try the tap before you helicoil it for sure... make sure you get new bolts too