CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New problem with the CBRF2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problem with the CBRF2

Well I finally got the bike, my dad finally brought it up but something really frustrating is happening. He rode it around yesterday then brought it up here with his truck. It was cool this morning around 63 and I tried starting it, nothing. Just turning over, kept trying until I felt the battery was dieing then I push started it. I saw the idle cable was unscrewed so I screwed it back in but when I push start it down the hill and start in 2nd it just stutters like it's there and the rpm's show a little of 1k but there is no throttle response and when the bike stops and the cluch is it doesn't stay on. Any ideas on what could be wrong, I'm pissed seems like everyone in my family rode for 20+miles but now mine doesn't want to start. Petcock is in the right position, gas is going in the engine, spark is there. What the hell could've happened in less then 24 hours.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Default RE: New problem with the CBRF2

Also, fuel line isn't kinked.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM

When you screwed the idle cable back in did you accidently adjust the idle down? Also did you start with or without choke? I find if, in the cold, the bike turns over but isn't going to start I flick the choke off while turning and she usually fires up. It just then takes some careful movement with the throttle to coax her up to 2k. I hold it there for 20-30 seconds then she ticks over fine.If you can get her going check the idle first.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Thanks I'll give it a try when I get home, I was thinking it might have been the idle. I'm so determined to start this thing. I got a good 5 hours to work on when I get home.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM

I'm starting to think that it's the kill switch, I don't know if it goes fro Off to Run, is there anyway I can bypass the switch and check? I checked the fueses and they were all fine and I checked the end of the kill switch and it was fine so I don't know, is there a way to bypass it?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was just about to say, turn your killswitch off :P

it should be in the run position, off = bike off

You've probably got your idle way out of whack now too, also use the choke whenever you're starting a cold engine, the starter doesn't have enough power to make enough of a vacuum to atomize the fuel in the carb, so the choke will dump in a whole bunch of gas so that at least some of it will atomize (liquid gas doesn't burn, the atomized stuff does)

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info I'll try it out, the thing with the kill switch is I think it's not switch from off to run even though I'm pressing the switch to run, is there a way to bypass that?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

you can disconnect the killswitch, but it's highly unlikely that it is your problem.

You said there is spark, how do you know? Did you check each lead, spark plug caps, AND spark plugs? You could have a bad coil

F2's have a common issue with the vacuum diaphram in the petcock, sometimes the rubber diaphram seperates from the plastic disc it's attached to and you get no fuel to the carbs.

When you bought the bike was it sitting fora long time? you could have plugged carbs or fuel filters.

trying to think of everything that could kill an engine, I think you're going to have to consider everything or retrace your steps if you changed anything... I dont know anything about your bike so it's hard to diagnose over the internet

Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM

I know it's hard to diagnose but I appreciate you trying. Basically it was sitting for a while (about a month, garaged) when we bought it. After a new petcock because the old one was messed up pretty badly it started and ran fine, 50 miles were put on the bike in a few days. Yesterday it gets here to gainesville on my dads truck and it hasn't run since. As for the spark plugs, I've checked every plug (they are also new) and there is a spark, but I am going to look into to see if there is a bad coil.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM

You could have a short somewhere that was inflicted in loading/securing/unloading the bike, do you have a voltmeter? check your voltage at the battery and then at the spark plug caps, you could just have a really weak spark.

Maybe your new petcock was not assembled properly?

I'm about to go out and rebuild my carbs with a new jet kit... this should be fun lol

Quick Reply: New problem with the CBRF2