CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   New to me F2 leaking F Brake Master Cylinder (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/new-me-f2-leaking-f-brake-master-cylinder-152747/)

Bradley Taylor 09-18-2014 05:54 PM

New to me F2 leaking F Brake Master Cylinder

Hello, I just posted in the new member area here with a pic, nice mostly or all stock F2 as best I can tell.

The only issue I'm having is the front brake master cylinder leaks a few drops on my fairing when I drive and use the brakes... It's only a drop or two, but it seems to be coming from the cover.. When purchased it the bike only had the aluminum cover with the plastic insert, no seal... I made a seal using cork gasket material, that just absorbs the brake fluid and acts as a wick to allow it to leak... I'm gonna try som 1/8th inch rubber gasket this weekend.. I also have a rebuild kit on the way that should be in tomorrow so I can change the piston seals... Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

While I have it off, I'm gonna repaint using engine paint and then bake it on....

-Brad-

Migge 09-19-2014 01:02 AM

No other advice than what you already know, to go with the rubber seal. Best of luck, mate!

Conrice 09-19-2014 05:51 AM

My advice would be to throw a newer master cylinder on there...

But you've already got the rebuild on the way, good luck with it!

JNSRacing 09-19-2014 08:42 AM

Bradley, get that seal ordered from a local dealer, if it's not included in the rebuild kit - it's only about $9.

It's more than just a seal, it's an expanding diaphragm, which aids in limiting the cavity size in the M/C, when the fluid level gets low... part# 45520-MM5-006.

Also, be sure to have two new crush washers around, for putting on either side of the brake line banjo, three if you've got braided stainless front lines. Again, the kit you got may have these, but I'm not sure... part#90545-300-000.

Good luck with the bike, and have fun in Japan! :D

Bradley Taylor 09-19-2014 09:09 PM

The diaphragm in the picture is nothing what I have.. I have a plastic white thingy underneath the aluminum cover... I thought it was strange that it didn't have a diaphragm like car master cylinders usually do...
That makes a lot of sense.. I'm missing a piece... Will order thanks for the part numbers... Helpful..
The kit i ordered has the crush washers.. but may need for the future though.. THanks...

JNSRacing 09-24-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bradley Taylor (Post 1281067)
The diaphragm in the picture is nothing what I have.. I have a plastic white thingy underneath the aluminum cover... I thought it was strange that it didn't have a diaphragm like car master cylinders usually do...
That makes a lot of sense.. I'm missing a piece... Will order thanks for the part numbers... Helpful..
The kit i ordered has the crush washers.. but may need for the future though.. THanks...

Your welcome! :icon_beerchug:

Bradley Taylor 09-24-2014 04:02 PM

Mission Success... Rebuild kit and diaphragm arrived yesterday.. Rebuilt and installed today... Bled brakes... Took for a spin and No leaks ! ! !

While my bike was on the stand I noticed the shifter was just below, and touch the shifter linkage... Explains why I had issues up shifting, but down shifting was pretty smooth... Took off the shifter and linkage... Put in the vise and "finessed" it straight vice bent about a half and inch... WOW what a difference in shifting... Smooth, no longer killing my toe when upshifting...If I was worried about safety I could ride in my converse with out issue.. LOL...

Thanks again, great resources here !

JNSRacing 09-24-2014 04:38 PM

That's awesome! I'm glad you got it sorted! :D