CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New to ME 94 CBR F2(Chicago)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ME 94 CBR F2(Chicago)

Im new to the CBR F2 sorta but not new to the forum. So I found a badly beaten up 94 F2 and decided to get it. It was cheap and I wanted to get back on 2 wheels. Gonna take some work to get her back road ready and worthy but im up for the challenge.

The plan is to

Swap fairings for F4i front end plus gauges
03-04 cbr600rr tail section
F4i rear shock
97 GSXR USD forks with 4 or 6 pistons
stainless steel lines
new slipon exhaust.

Should be fun to ride...

Gotta question or 2.
How bad does the F4i shock effect handling..Im going in a straight line, no major twisties or anything. im getting mixed reviews on the shock swap.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the F4i shock will have better damping characteristics than the OEM F2 shock, but it will lift the rear about 1 1/2 inches, if I remember correctly, so that will definitely affect your geometry quite a bit... are you thinking of using a lowering link, to offset the ride height change?

As far as the fairing/gauges swap, as you might already know, it's been done many times (some with more success than others! ) There are quite a few threads here regarding it the swap.

I've done a lot to the F2s that I have, so check out my build threads, if you think you might get some ideas.

Jeff

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Yeah i was going to add the lowering link after a few threads i read to get it back down to the appropiate ride height..so not to effect geometry to drastically.

Yeah your thread is one of my motivational tools to get'r done. LOL

Had a few questions on the fork swaps.

I read the GSXR forks are a direct bolt on, so I assume the Gsxr steering stem is the same length as the F2s, and all i have to do is switch the bearings? Am i correct with that assumption.

For the gauges, now i am losing the speedo with the fork swap. Do I have to get a Veypor or is there a way to get the tach and speedometer to work. i thought i read somewhere i could use a cbr900rr cover but wasnt sure how that worked.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Yeah, there is a certain vintage/era of GSX-R forks that will swap right in, with the appropriate steering stem bearings, but you'll then pretty much need the whole front end, which could get pricey... you're definitely not lacking on things to spend money on, so if I were you, I'd focus the funds elsewhere.

If you are determined to do that swap, just know that a lot of guys do recommend against it, as these bikes are designed for the forks to take a certain degree of flex, and with a stiff front end, you'll be transferring that energy to the frame... this could be resolved by gusseting the frame with some welding work.

Since you've got a '94, you do have the better forks, with rebound damping adjustment - if the forks are in good shape, with new seals, wipers, fluid, and sprung properly for your weight, I doubt you'll find need for better on the street... even on the track, these can do fine, if they are set up correctly.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Okay yeah i was trying to put a parts list together for the swap and it was adding up pretty fast. And I know the 94 forks are a lot better than the 91-93 forks which was a plus in getting the bike. Yeah i can definitely spend that money elsewhere. Maybe towards some plastics that make some sorta sense. Cool thanks alot. I keep the build updated as I go..I already have the cbr600rr tail so im sure ill be adding that sooner than later.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention, is that 954RR front ends are apparently an easy swap with the bearing conversion, as well - that way you're keeping it Honda, and the 954 front end would be newer than the generation of GSX-R front ends that can be put on.
You'd still have the potential concern with the handling/frame stress, but it's just another idea... more food for thought.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Yeah I kinda want the Inverted Forks, but I think for now I am going to put that on the back burner and try to sort out these fairings. With the going rate of the F2 fairings, i might as well just get the F4i conversion started.

So where exactly would be the best places to get the frame welded so not to stress with the fork conversion.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:33 PM

I have personally never attempted to run USD forks on a bike of this vintage, but I would assume the area around the steering stem is what would possibly require some more strength; again, I've no direct experience with this exact upgrade, I just know that a lot of very seasoned F2/F3 builders/racers have advised against the project, siting the flex issue as the reason.

Honestly though, if you won't be riding real aggressively, I doubt you'll stress the frame to the point of any danger.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 05-20-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New to ME 94 CBR F2(Chicago)