CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New guy looking at a new (to me) bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking at a new (to me) bike

Hey all, thought I'd join this forum to ask some questions. And read up on some knowledge. I have what I think is a good deal on a CBR F2 for a mere 600. Never been crashed, has a good title too. However, while the tank was drained, nothing else was done to the bike, and it has been sitting for 6 years in a garage. On top of that the front tire is shot, and the fork seals seem to be drooling. The guy says the valves were noisy when he was riding it. Frame is straight. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and actually enjoy a good project, so the question is, would a bike like this be worth buying and fixing up, or am I going to spend more than it is worth getting it running? All advice and opinions are welcome. Even advice on how I SHOULD have posted this or behave on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Pic of the bike:

Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Default RE: New guy looking at a new (to me) bike

if there is nothing else wrong it could be a good deal... Fork seals are cheap and if you want to do them yourself they are even cheaper... the "valve noise" is probably a cam chain tensioner that has gone bad. you can search cam chain tensioner or cct on here and see your options... since the tank has been empty for so long i would look to see if there is any rust in it.. I f there is there are systems out there to clean out the rust and put an epoxy sealer in there, cheap as well.. and if the price is 600 i would ****** it up in a heart beat anyways.. If all the body is solid it is worth more than 600.. good luck and welcome to the board

Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 PM

The body isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. The thing fell over in a truck at one point or so I am told and the gas tank ha a slight dent in it, also a portion of hte fairing is cracked. That said, I'm not too concerned about that, I'm not looking for anything pretty, just something to fix up and ride on the weekends. I figure it will be a good starter bike. Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: N4teTheGreat

Hey all, thought I'd join this forum to ask some questions. And read up on some knowledge. I have what I think is a good deal on a CBR F2 for a mere 600. Never been crashed, has a good title too. However, while the tank was drained, nothing else was done to the bike, and it has been sitting for 6 years in a garage. On top of that the front tire is shot, and the fork seals seem to be drooling. The guy says the valves were noisy when he was riding it. Frame is straight. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and actually enjoy a good project, so the question is, would a bike like this be worth buying and fixing up, or am I going to spend more than it is worth getting it running? All advice and opinions are welcome. Even advice on how I SHOULD have posted this or behave on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Pic of the bike:

****** it up...some of that work...a novice mech can do...the rest is relatively cheap.