CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New Guy - Just got a 91 F2 Project Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy - Just got a 91 F2 Project Bike

Hi all.

Just got a 91 F2 in need of a bit of work given to me so hopefully I'll become a bit of a regular here now.

My friend loaned the bike to another guy to had it fall over then sit in his house for over a year. When that guy got a divorce and had his house forclosed on the bike made it's way to me. Good news is that after a good charge on the battery she fired up. New tires, new chain, replacing all fluids, brake job, and a rebuild of the front forks (one is leaking) and maybe a carb rebuild is in the mechanical TO DO list

So I think I got a plan in place for what I want to do mechanically on the thing. Hoping to get a bit more advice/ideas on the rest.

First of all - anyone ever use one of these things? http://www.veypor.com/ Looks like a relatively cheap and kinda neat way to replace/upgrade the entire dash.

Secondly in the spirit of keeping this a project and learning experience for myself I am thinking of trying something I never done before - working on the plasitics. Yeah I know. I may end up just buying plastics before I am done but I kinda want to do as much myself as I can. Can't hurt to try right?

First thought was a good cleaning followed by roughing things up with light scouring pad. Maybe some JB Weld to fill in a few deeper marks (I imagine normal body filler will eventually vibrate out). Lots of sanding, Primer, more sanding - then off to the paint shop.

Anybody out there who has done this kinda stuff before have any sage advice for a newbie?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Default RE: New Guy - Just got a 92 F2 Project Bike

Welcome aboard. That's pretty amazing how it started right up after sitting for a year. My project bike only sat a couple months and it was gummed up like hell. If you plan on fixing the plastics then I would use this thread as a guide: https://cbrforum.com/m_671885/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

I've heard a few good things about the Veypor gauges. I would think that you would need to switch up a few things since our speedo is cable operated.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the forum, I also have a 91 f2 and I am using the veypor gauge cluster, in replace of the stock gauges. I paid like $250.00 some thing for it off ebay witch I thought was a bit pricy but I did my shoppingand it was the cheapestI found. It works well, ive had it on my bike for about a year. The only problem I have is it uses a magneton the wheel forthe speedometer and my magnets keep falling off,I super glued 2 of them on and they both fell off. The tachometer works great though andits got tons of other cool functions.Have fun with ur new bike!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM

I've got an older bike myself and I've contemplated going w/ newer guages, but figured it just wouldn't look right. Besides, my old ones function just fine. Do the bike a favor, if you do go that way, keep the guages in case you or the next owner want to revert back.
Speaking of the guages, do you know what size the couplers are for the speedo cable on an F2?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Update:

So I got all the plastics off the bike and started surveying what I had. Once she was naked I started oggling her (as men tend to do to naked bodies) I started thinking I like her better that way (also as men tend to do!)

So I think I am going to give her the street fighter treatment. Will work on the tail pieces - no damage to speak of and some sort of front fairing and a good polishing on the frame and newly exposed parts.

Anybody have a good suggestion as to a front fairing? Just want something pretty little to hold some headlights and maybe a minimal windshield. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but since I don't really have many shops around here that stock that kinda stuff I'll be buying based entirely on pictures on some website and how am I supposed to know how well it will fit and look beforehand!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by fastbroshi
I've got an older bike myself and I've contemplated going w/ newer guages, but figured it just wouldn't look right. Besides, my old ones function just fine. Do the bike a favor, if you do go that way, keep the guages in case you or the next owner want to revert back.
Speaking of the guages, do you know what size the couplers are for the speedo cable on an F2?
Sorry but no I don't know off hand.

Oh I plan on keeping every piece I take off. Whoever (if anyone) gets the bike after me will get all the pieces that I got. I'm taking pictures of every piece as I do it and every nut and bolt are going into labled ziploc bags. Taking no chances!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

Hate to break it to you but you won't be able to polish the frame since it is steel otherwise it oxidizes to fast. There might be a metallic paint you could use but if you really want to shinny look you could also chrome the frame, which you probly know costs about $750 and weighs the bike down a lot.